Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Pledge on axles

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by plhiatt, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Kinser Racing

Kinser Racing ********************* 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

If you spray pledge on your table then wipe it off, Is it wet? It would be classified as a dry lube. Most of the guys that are having to use dry lube, I think alignment, steer, COM and aerodynamics should be a primary focus. Pledge is just the icing on the cake. IMHO. /images/boards/smilies/smile.gif

2. SoGone

SoGone Administrator 3X Pro Race Winner

I agree with kinser 100%... You can have all the best and fastest lubes in the world,,but without a good setup that lube ain't worth beans. Setup wins the race 99% of the time

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thankfully this argument will be presented before the Supreme Court later this year.

Only then will we find out whose "spirit of the rules" will define the PWD for the next 60 years

4. IAE Racing

IAE Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer

Vitamin K, Thanks for coming here to discuss thoughts, as you have learned you are open to discuss your thought without censor. If you read many of my posts I encourage all to strive to abide by the spirit and letter of the rule. I really dislike grey areas. I strive to help my pack, district, and council make clear, concise, and measurable rules.

Your opinion is very welcome here and you are free to chose. Having used Pledge, I feel though it is just part of the final polish process though and not part of the lubrication process. Example: finish polishing axles with brasso, no graphite = poor run. Polish with brasso, finish with pledge, no graphite = poor run. If pledge was a lubricant, you would see good runs with it only that would last an entire race.

JM2C

5. Tony_in_NYC

Tony_in_NYC Pinewood Ninja

If it's the silicone in the pledge, wouldn't any silicone spray work,

6. rpenning1970

rpenning1970 Workshop Leader

I did the pledge treatment on my axles this morning, sprayed it, wiped it off, then I took the wheels and burneshed them with graphite as a reprep and added some graphite and put things together. i am not sure if it helped which I expect that it should have but the car did not really run ahead of the pack, about 3-4 other cars were really close to the car and I was rather confused as to why.

7. g.o.racing

g.o.racing District Champion

as gravity x said earlier he had a .006 gain if all other things are equal that is the edge you need. its not going to make a slow car from the back of the pack suddenly come to the front and win the race!!!

8. Tony_in_NYC

The faster your car is, the less of a gain you will get from any speed boosting mod. That's true of any speed sport.

9. IAE Racing

Very true. So that's why a .006 gain is huge. If a .006 gain is not huge for you, then need to go back to the beginning - proper alignment, balance, steer, prep - that is where you will pick up the .3000.

10. Tony_in_NYC

My car is a Cub Scout racer. .006 is still a lot since my son finished less than that out of the money. I could have used that .006 a couple of weeks ago!!

11. IAE Racing

That's what I mean - when you're at the top and it's close, .006 is big.

12. Tony_in_NYC

That is NOT what she said!

e/o likes this.
  13. IAE Racing

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] I stepped into that one!

14. Tony_in_NYC

But I really appreciate you doing it!!

15. Tony_in_NYC

But I really appreciate you doing it!!

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey Vitamin K,

I saw some of your work on a different forum.

Very impressive stuff!

The "spirit of the law" is like the banshee.

Once you think you can grasp her, she disappears before your eyes.

IMHO

Welcome fella.

17. Pacfanweb

Pacfanweb League Racer

My son finished 2nd at District two years ago by .003. Every little bit helps.

18. jrbryant68

jrbryant68 District Champion

I have gone through the steps of polishing the axles down to 3000 grit polishing paper and I was planning on using a molly boron to coat the axles. As I understand the rules for the race the only stipulation on, lube is no oil or wet lube. So would pledge be something I could use with that as I assume it would be dry before the race. And the second thought going through my head is can I use something like a thin teflon/plastic cutout to line the body around the edge of the axle to reduce friction or would that have any effect? I appreciate the help

19. bracketracer

bracketracer PWD Royalty Pro Racer

I think most scout rules would consider that cutout to be a washer, jrbryant68. Do your rules say no washers?

20. Pacfanweb

Pacfanweb League Racer

Regarding the Pledge vs. anything else for graphite:

Would not straight silicone spray work, too? Spray the axles and let it dry? Or are we thinking the Pledge leave a little something else behind than just silicone?