Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Wheel Rules Interpretation

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by xtremethings, Sep 23, 2020.

1. xtremethings

xtremethings Pinewood Ninja

I’m relatively new to this whole stock wheels thing and I was wondering if polishing the outer tread and inner edge of the wheel is going against what the following rules say?

I basically knocked any heavy flashing off our wheels with my fingernail and did the black ice treatment on the bores, hubs and tread areas. I don’t believe I went against the rules, but could that technically be classified as a modification? C5C41396-DDE4-40C2-83B9-86B24E71FE5E.jpeg

2. ljo

ljo District Champion

If you didn't lathe or sand them, I'd say you are fine.

3. xtremethings

That’s good to hear... I was just kind of concerned because the look so dang good.

42B2AE5C-578A-4F15-AE34-3BF858767917.jpeg 530A7206-343F-4B8C-9967-05B8CD1076D4.jpeg

ljo likes this.
  4. T-Bone Racing

T-Bone Racing Pinewood Ninja

I’m pretty sure you can polish them wherever. Just as long as you keep them off a lathe.

5. xtremethings

That’s encouraging info. I’m actually on the post-race inspection team and I just didn’t want it to cause any problems.

6. T-Bone Racing

Gotcha. I mean, it’s easy to tell if they’ve been lightened. It’s not often that someone cheats by using a lathe, but it does happen. If it’s just shiny, it’s probably just a well polished wheel.

7. xtremethings

I’m the only person familiar enough with this stuff so I’ll be the one taking measurements and weighing things. And you’re right about the intentional cheating thing, but some parents just seem to buy stuff thinking a wheel is just a wheel. I saw that at our pack races the last couple years, but those cars never made if to the finals so the pack just let it slide.

8. T-Bone Racing

That’s common too. Anyone can buy good parts, but if they can’t put it all together correctly, then it’s the same as using bad parts.

9. xtremethings

You’re absolutely right on that because you should’ve seen the face of a dad who entered his $200+ BASX outlaw get spanked by the box stock blue and yellow car in my profile pick. Its hard to believe it, but that car has just over 14 grams on the front wheel. It’s basically a balsa and 1/64 plywood box on top of a ladder car covered in monokote.
    6C986A48-CEE3-495D-99BF-4809BF895D47.jpeg 0F40351D-C323-4727-882D-C1D4A9A737B3.jpeg

T-Bone Racing likes this.
  10. Mojo Racing

Mojo Racing National Contender Pro Racer

Very true T-Bone!

I tell people all of the time... Just because you know all of the ingredients, doesn't mean you know how to bake a cake.

B_Regal Racing and T-Bone Racing like this.
  11. Jupiter 2.9

Jupiter 2.9 Workshop Leader Pro Racer

I can't bake a cake either :rolleyes:

12. Eric Scheid

Eric Scheid Hammering Axles

When I was managing our Pack races, I adopted the MAPD scout class rules because they allow for easy inspection. True there is a lot of leeway in them but very little ambiguity. The last thing I wanted was a race day argument over just what you discussed.

Loud2ns likes this.
  13. Mojo Racing

Mojo Racing National Contender Pro Racer

It is funny that most leaders try to tighten the rules to reduce argument... It doesn't work that way. Open them up... and let them run!

Eric Scheid and Loud2ns like this.