Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Wheel re-prep

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by Castoro Racing, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Castoro Racing

Castoro Racing District Champion

I have wheels that I ran a year ago with oil and the axles were sprayed with max pro. I want to reprep and will use axles sprayed with Jig. Should I clean wheels with car wash and then reapply a new coat of red rocket or clean with dawn to ensure there are no traces of max pro? I am leaning towards dawn to ensure there is no trace of the max pro, but maybe I am overthinking it.

2. TRE

TRE PWD Royalty Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

You can clean with either ..i just use dawn anymore

3. Castoro Racing

Castoro Racing District Champion

Thanks alot!

4. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids League Racer

Raced at APR today after a few months off. I changed to Simple Green on my BASX and suspect I didn’t get the old wax all the way out. Lost a good amount of speed and suspect that may have a lot to do with it.
    Ditto what Tre said... Dawn cuts wax. Most car wash solutions are meant not to.
    I’m actually going a little harsher and using alcohol. And praying a bit. Lol

5. TRE

Lots of times when i change wax on a wheel its slow for life..you might need new set of wheels

DerbyBoyRacing likes this.
  6. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids League Racer

Yeah that has crossed my mind too. I’m certainly not opposed to starting over on wheels.

7. FDM

FDM District Champion

Also have a wheel/axle re-prep question. I have some oil wheels and axles I left in a bag for over a year. The wheels were prepped with black ice system with red rocket as wax, I used the DD4H sizzle oil and axles coated with jig. Can I re-use those wheels or could the oil/jig have damaged the wheel bores after a year? I was thinking about washing wheels and axles with dawn and waxing the wheel bores again with red rocket. Cleaning axles further with either window cleaner or IPA and reapplying jig. Or would just cleaning the wheel bores with car wash do the trick without having the need to re-wax?

8. TRE

Just clean them out re wax and go

FDM likes this.
  9. FDM

FDM District Champion

Thanks! Saves some time prepping some new wheels from the start. Will check how the wheel bores look after cleaning. Only dreading the pipe cleaners, I always manage to scratch something.

10. TRE

get some finger nail clippers and keep clipping til you dont feel anything sharp

11. Chief

Chief PWD Royalty

Or use some small heat shrink tubing like the Hurricrane...

Charles Studer, FDM and Dizzy like this.
  12. FDM

FDM District Champion

Great idea, sadly I already managed to put a small scratch in one of the bores while cleaning them out. I will probably still polish it, it's just a chuck of plastic missing nothing sticking out in the bore, I run the 93TX axles maybe I get lucky and have no contact on that point.

And just to go off topic, our districts allow oil, our pack doesn't, I know most scout/parents don't want to put in the extra work polishing a new set of the wheels. Would using oil on an un-prepped wheel still give you an advantage over using graphite? My guess is that the graphite wheel will probably also be un-prepped. Most likely, if the parents did anything they probably polished the axles, which could be cleaned and used for oil.

13. Chief

Chief PWD Royalty

If you want to make sure you win, I would polish new wheels and rep rep your axles for oil, only takes a few minutes per wheel. Do your best and don’t give em any room for someone to have the advantage. You are correct, most parents don’t or won’t but that one dad our there that has gone the extra mile because this is his last hooray??? Ya never know. Polish’em and beat’em all ! Good luck!!

Charles Studer and FDM like this.
  14. FDM

FDM District Champion

I still have some wheels laying around so I will prep those.