Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Wheel Bore Grooves

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by tomb, Apr 12, 2019.

1. tomb

tomb Pack Champion

I know wheel bores have been discussed before in other strings but I was hoping someone could give there input on these. This is the first time I’ve looked at a bore magnified but this doesn’t seem normal. I just got these Mid-America wheels from DD4H and haven’t done anything to the orange ones but I have done step 1 of black ice to the green one. Is this normal or are they defective?

Attached Files:

2. TRE

TRE PWD Royalty Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

Polish them up see how they run...might be the fastest wheels you ever had

3. Pinewood Outlaw

Pinewood Outlaw Workshop Leader

Although DD4H may do great lathe work in making these specialty wheels he must start with regular stock wheels. Unfortunately they aren't made the best and usually there is no machining done to the insides of the bores.....and I highly doubt every single raw wheel is checked under magnification for bore flaws.

4. Derby addict

Derby addict Hammering Axles

You don't really need magnification to see those bores are a mess. I think I'd reach out to DD4H and see if he would send you replacements.

5. Bw56

Bw56 Pinewood Ninja

Those don't look like marks from the mold pins being pulled. Those would be going the other direction.

6. Racing358t

Racing358t Pinewood Ninja

Don't know what happened but those bores look horrible. No amount of polishing will fix that.

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  7. Ballistic Racing

Ballistic Racing Workshop Leader #1 Ranked in the USA Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

I ran the white wheels with bores that looked similar to that at Johns last MA race... they were fast. Polish them up & run them. A lot of those deep grooves you see don’t come in contact with the speed axle.

Wolfram Racing and TRE like this.
  8. TRE

You always have to run them you never know

9. Loud2ns

Loud2ns Pinewood Ninja

These are some good tips for us green guys. Thanks

TRE likes this.
  10. Cubscout Dad

Cubscout Dad District Champion

I would send them back. That's not what you paid for. Better quality control

11. tomb

tomb Pack Champion

Yes, very good tips and very appreciated. I just feel like I'm in the unfortunate and self inflicted situation of being completely new at all of this and having Mid-America be our first real "non Awana" race. I've kind of dove head first into this hobby/obsession and am paranoid to get everything as "right" as I can at this point to make the most of the first race for my boys and I. I understand that you don't know until you test and run'em but I don't have a way to test and didn't want Mid-America to be my testing ground. I suppose to some extent, based on my situation, it is a testing ground but I am trying to create as many known variables as I can (ie. alignment, starting point of wheels, good axles, etc.). I know I'm probably over analyzing everything and feeding to my paranoia; my wife would definitely agree, but that's kind of where I'm at. John has been very gracious to feed into this paranoia and send replacement wheels (I'm sure while rolling his eyes and thinking I'm ridiculous) so we'll see. After all of this work and time and money, the boys and I will probably still only have 4 second cars and be laughed out of the building. Oh well; it's all a learning experience and the boys will have fun, no matter what.

12. tomb

tomb Pack Champion

I don't have anything negative to say about DD4H. John has been awesome to work with and has put up with a lot of my crap and newbie questions.

giphy.gif

13. TRE

I will tell you this i have had wheels with perfect bores and spin perfect after polishing be dog slow....01 off..so you just never know

Ballistic Racing and dan9592 like this.
  14. AJBinVA

AJBinVA Pinewood Ninja

Prep the wheels and run them at Mid America. Every race will be a test. They could end up being the fastest wheels ever. Just won't know. Just finished my first league race Friday and had all the same worries. Gouged one wheel just like that with a pipe cleaner but on the outer hub so I just put it on the NDFW. Out of the families 4 cars the car that ran best was one my son built and I broke helping him put it together. Never would've know without running it. Should get them back soon then re prep and fix a thing or two and send them back out for mid-America for more "testing"

15. tomb

tomb Pack Champion

Thanks so much guys; I really appreciate all of the advise and encouragement.

16. Loud2ns

Loud2ns Pinewood Ninja

I would also consider the source of advice. Tre and Ballistic sit at the top of league racers so I would listen carefully to what they had to say.

dan9592 likes this.
  17. Reecedad

Reecedad Council Champion

I agree I've also had very clean polished wheels be slow but the real question is- have you ever had fast wheels with that kind of damage?

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  18. TRE

Yes i have and the damage is right in the middle where the groove in the axle is

Ballistic Racing likes this.
  19. Ballistic Racing

Ballistic Racing Workshop Leader #1 Ranked in the USA Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

Me too, read my post above

20. DerbyDad4Hire

DerbyDad4Hire Administrator Staff Member 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

More wheels on the way! I will try to work on that quality control issue.