Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Wheel & axle setup for 4-wheel-touching

Discussion in 'Wheels and Axles' started by firestone, Jul 5, 2019.

1. firestone

firestone Bent Axle

Anyone have an easy resource/diagram/specs for preferred wheel and axle setup for 4-wheel-touching races? On aluminum best track, BSA wheels and axles standard slot placement, filling and re-drilling in slots allowed, no bending axles, no wheel mods.

I'm pretty new to this level of building, so I'm trying to find something simple that can help me understand the logic of axle angles and such for this kind of race.

2. TRE

TRE PWD Royalty Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

Buy a plug and play block from john..its drilled and ready...unless you wann fool with trying to drill the right angles in both front wheels

3. firestone

firestone Bent Axle

Would that pass for races with rules about using the original axle slots? It looks like they're cut into the block afterwards.

And I'd prefer we could cut the block here. Kind of feel like we're cheating if my son doesn't even cut the block and it just shows up ready to go.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  4. HurriCrane Racing

HurriCrane Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

LOL! There is enough cheating in scout racing to make a NASCAR crew chief blush!

It really depends on how many cars you plan on building, how skilled you are and the quality of your tools.
    The plug and play would be the best option if you only plan on building a minimum amount of cars. It will also be your most economical option. This option also takes much of the guess work out of tuning the car if you don't have a track for testing.

Second option would be to get a drill jig. You can then fill in the axle slots and drill an accurate set of axle holes.
    This would be a better option if you plan on building quite a few cars. Jigs are a bit costly but are definitely worth the investment if you are early in your racing career.

Last, you can spend a pile of money on a high quality drill press. Learn how to accurately level the bed. Drill a few dozen cars learning how to drill at the proper angles and then proceed with the build. How much time and money do you have?

Without seeing your actual rules, we can't say if the plug and play would be allowed. Normally, a four wheel touch set of rules will be terrible. I've never met a cub scout that could put his axles into the provided slots and yield a four wheel touching car....

Best of luck

Gso125 Racing likes this.
  5. TRE

I think his rules are the new york rules...the plug and play with slots would be legal

6. firestone

firestone Bent Axle

The rules at all levels here basically say we have to use the block from the kit. At the NYC world championship event the rule stated, "Cars must have been built during the 2018 Pinewood Derby racing season (September 2018 through June 2019) using an Official BSA Pinewood Derby Kit or official BSA components purchased through an authorized BSA retailer such as a Scout Shop. Non-official BSA parts sold by an official BSA retailer are prohibited. Aftermarket car kits, non BSA precut kits, or cars purchased whole or in part from another racer, company, internet entity, or other are prohibited. Cars must be constructed by the racer and an adult, Scouts honor."

Pack rules are similar, no purchased blocks, use the kit provided.

I suspect it's nearly impossible for an inspector to really know if a block is purchased elsewhere or came from the kit once it's all painted over. But intent on going the honest route for now, I'm inclined to stick with a BSA kit block.

I've seen a $22 axle hole jig on Amazon, is that one any good? I'm fine with spending more if there's something better. My drill press isn't great, not sure I'd trust it to be able to dial in the angle accurately. So I'd prefer a hand-drill with jig option.

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  7. TRE

Nobody sells a jig that drills the fronts like you need..you need the fronts drilled with steer..if you want to do it yourself..you have to buy a drill press and the block then figure out the angles to get the fronts correct

8. Derby addict

Derby addict Hammering Axles

9. TRE

10. firestone

firestone Bent Axle

We actually could get away with not tuning the 4th wheel if/until getting back to the World derby. Our Pack allows 3 wheels, as does our district. So I guess the smarter play is run a 3-wheel at Pack and District, then adjust for World if needed.

But I'm also trying to plan ahead for a 4-wheel setup. So let's say I went with the StarCars jig. Is there any specific recommended tuning for the 4th wheel?