Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Tungsten Discs?

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by Pete Buckler, Dec 3, 2019 at 4:52 PM.

1. Pete Buckler

Pete Buckler Bent Axle

Last year I picked up a couple of flat top tungsten discs with a slot cut for the axles. I used them last year with pretty good success. They weigh 3.15 oz each and are 1” in diameter and a half inch tall. I’m curious how they would compare to the cubes and/or tungsten bars regarding speed, etc. Does anyone have experience with these? Would I be better off with something different?

Attached Files:

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  2. Charles Studer

Charles Studer Workshop Leader Pro Racer

I will be running a tungsten dome in my unlimited for finals at Npw this week. I will probably get Alot of sideway looks....but in my opinion if you can place your weight proper and ballast it well with the difference science says it should be competitive. I have also ran the skull in BASX mini but my drill was poor so it never hit potential. For speed proven 1/4" body with 12 cubes behind the axle is the gold standard.

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  3. Charles Studer

Charles Studer Workshop Leader Pro Racer

COmmon guys please dont laugh....

Attached Files:

4. Brian Stanley

Brian Stanley Pinewood Ninja Pro Racer

You should paint it to look like R2D2!

5. DerbyDoctor

DerbyDoctor Bent Axle

We used the the slotted dome style weight for the first two years of scout races. Both similar body styles (fastest car on youtube or ‘spoon body’ as my son calls it) and both did extremely well in scout races. From applying what I learned here, we gained a car length in speed from the first to second year. This past year we switched to 1/4” car with cubes and applied the same techniques, wheelbase, wheels, axles, etc. as the year before and gained another entire car length over the previous year with some tuning. So a car can be competitive in many scout packs using that disc but a cube car definitely has the advantage.

Charles Studer likes this.
  6. Brian Stanley

Brian Stanley Pinewood Ninja Pro Racer

I think the real advantage with the cubes over the disc is flexibility. The cubes give much more options for moving the weight around and trying things, whereas with the disc you're limited to where you put your hole. You can find speed moving the weights side to side, it is much easier to do this with the cubes.

7. Pete Buckler

Pete Buckler Bent Axle

I figured as much with regard to speed gains with weight distribution and being able to build a 1/4” car. I’ve got to buy weights for a new car so I’ll go with cubes and maybe a bar. Then I will be able to test the cubes vs the discs.

8. DerbyDad4Hire

DerbyDad4Hire Administrator Staff Member 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

The cubes hands down if you want top speed.

TRE and Charles Studer like this.