Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Awana Grand Prix Trued/Lightened AWANA Wheels

Discussion in 'Awana Grand Prix, Royal Rangers, and Royal Racers' started by dykstrjt, Jan 5, 2018.

1. dykstrjt

dykstrjt Bent Axle

Good morning fellow racers. I have a couple of AWANA races coming up. I was wondering if anyone knew of a racer or vender that cuts a good trued and lightened AWANA wheel. All of the wheels I’m finding wobble terribly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. RockChalkRscing

RockChalkRscing Hammering Axles

I will only post this becauseI believe.... this site doesn't offer them to my knowledge. If wrong i will delete as everything else here has been amazing. We used a set of the 2.1g wheels from maximum velocity on ours. I used the axles from our kit though and did our own treatment based on advice from here. I didn't use graphite as most awana races don't have a ton of rules. Ours just used the rules from the kit. Our church is all about inclusion so We actually beat scout cars with aftermarket wheels that weighed in right at the limit so some thought went into them. No car was turned away although some had to reduce weight. A dad's car coming in at 7.0 for a 5.0 race. It's hard to cut awana wheels because the plastic is softer. Some offer 1.0 gram wheels and we'll be trying a set this year.

3. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids National Contender

Just seeing this thread so late to the discussion. We race Awana and in the open class this year I will be running 1.3 g cut Awana wheels. They are not the ones from the kits but the ones they send when you buy extra which are a different plastic and very shiny. I am told they cut well. The dull ones in the kit do not cut well. I have one set at 1.3 and one set at 1.5. I’ll let you know how they both work out. Race is end of the month.
    Jimmy

4. ratrodsrule1

ratrodsrule1 Council Champion

Just seeing this....Are the shinny wheels mentioned from the Awana web site or another vendor ? Thanks

5. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids National Contender

They are from the Awana store.
    So it seems there are 2 kinds of Awana wheels from the store. Last couple years the ones that are dull in appearance and harder to cut (softer?) came in the kits. When ordering the 5 pack of extra wheels those wheels were real shinny and a bit easier to cut on the lathe, (harder?) though still softer than BSA wheels.

Now this year’s kits came in and in the kits the wheels are shinny. So may just be the difference between large production runs??? No telling or knowing for sure.

But to your question yes they are both from the Awana Store.
    I actually believe that is the only source for Awana wheels and vendors get them in bulk to cut, true and sell. They come in bulk real cheap. Especially if you have a church discount.

Hope that helps.
    Jimmy

ratrodsrule1 likes this.
  6. ratrodsrule1

ratrodsrule1 Council Champion

Thanks Jimmy, I'm not certain but I think they possibly change vendors from time to time, possibly thru a bid process...just my 2 cents. Just recently ordered a kit and extra wheels and axles. Will let you know what comes in the box....RRR