Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Too Many Dr. Bills So Little Space

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by ratrodsrule1, May 25, 2020.

1. ratrodsrule1

ratrodsrule1 National Contender

Would like something a bit better than a tuning board. A bit scraped for cash with escalating Dr. bills and health issues. What would be a decent get by test track scenario. Not much space, 20ft is about it. Anything worth having at that short distance to at least get an idea of what I have before I send ?

Thanks Y'all.......RRR

2. ljo

ljo District Champion

My opinion is that a 20 foot track is better than nothing, although not ideal. You will need to be able to make fairly repeatable runs, and have a way to time them. If you have no timer, then you would want 2 lanes so you can compare it to another car.

ratrodsrule1 likes this.
  3. TRE

TRE PWD Royalty Pro Race Winner Pro Racer

You can make a friction track...get piece of that plastic track put just slight angle to one end...as your prep and build skills get better the car will roll farther

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Castoro Racing and ratrodsrule1 like this.
  4. ratrodsrule1

X marks the spot fellers. Hidden treasure JonnyDepp. Year of inactivity due to the asbestos exposure, heavy metals, pesticides, heart disease and Old age in general my 15 x 20 work area looked a Sanford and Son Retreat. All cleaned out and organized now. Over the years the grass over grew to 10’ concrete apron outside the double doors. A little shovel work and so ground leveling this thing could be as long as I need. Problem is only 20 ft can stay inside at all times but it beats the alternative which is no track at all. Gotta sell some equipment I no longer want need our use. Things are lookin up at the Garagemahal !!

5. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids National Contender

Here’s an option I almost went with but I’m holding out for the Best Track.

It’s a type of hardboard/vinyl and it has a timer made from a stop watch. Not the best but it’s better than nothing. Though a lot of guys go quite far on a good tuning board.
    http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/pinewoodderbytrack
    Plus Chuy over at NPWDRL has been able to put together an awesome timer set up found here:
    https://www.dfgtec.com/pdt
    If you have electronics skills you could do it also for like $20 in parts. But it does require a serious electronics skill set to do it though.

ratrodsrule1 likes this.
  6. ratrodsrule1

Thanks my friend worth checking out

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  7. Jupiter 2.9

Jupiter 2.9 District Champion Pro Racer

That's neat, I want to build a small one just to push the wife's buttons.