Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

The last hurrah.

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by Reggie, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Reggie

Reggie District Champion

I haven't been on here for a while. Thought I would ask a question or two.
    This is my son's last year in cub scouts so he really wanted to go out with a bang. He wants to build the fastest car he has ever made. We decided to hollow out the body leaving it thin on top. We got it down to about 8 grams.
    The questions are, what to cover bottom with? The twelve cubes in the rear are glued in.He paints it . We usually aluminum tape the front weights during and after testing. Should we just take the tape up to the front axle to cover the hollow section? Tech has never said anything about the tape on the front weight pocket. I don't know what they would say about three-quarters of the car being aluminum tape. I'm afraid that much aluminum tape is going to put our weight up too high and then need to drop down to 12 or less cubes in the front.
    I thought about after we get the car set up gluing in the front cubes and then vinyl the bottom of the car. I don't know.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  2. Mojo Racing

Mojo Racing National Contender Pro Racer

use regular clear packing tape then. That lets them see everything that is up there for "inspection" and it is a lot lighter than the heavy aluminum tape.

3. DerbyDad4Hire

DerbyDad4Hire Administrator Staff Member 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

You can vinyl the bottom and just use the tape over the weight pocket to hold the cubes.

4. Reggie

Reggie District Champion

What brand of tape? How well does it hold up sliding on the stop section repeatedly?

5. Reggie

Reggie District Champion

Hi John! Vinyl from the front of the car up to the weight pocket then packing tape or aluminum over weight pocket?

6. Mojo Racing

Mojo Racing National Contender Pro Racer

Instead of using aluminum tape, and if you don't want to use clear tape, 3M3350 HVAC tape is thinner than aluminum tape, allows you to peel back and adjust your weights if you need to and it has no problem adhering again.

Or vinyl, but usually, it is stick one time.

7. Reggie

Reggie District Champion

Okay. Thank you!