Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

switching cars from oil to graphite for regionals... help/advice needed

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by Jimmy & his 2 Kids, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids League Racer

Hey folks,

So our Awana race is the end of this month. Hoping for a 3-peat for all the trophies again. Due to SE MI Awana Regionals switching dates we can now send our top finishers. This year I am helping all our interested racers run oil but the regionals rules ban it. So I plan to get all our cars switched to graphite after our local race and was just wondering if there is anything specific I need to keep in mind when doing so.
    Plan is clean wheels and axles with Dawn. Axles will get sprayed with pledge instead of Jig and wheels just a re-application of Red Rocket.
    Does that sound ok? Do i even need to worry about getting all traces of oil gone? The oil I'll be using is a year old, John's Sizzle. Never had to worry about this before and I don't even run graphite anymore.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Jimmy

2. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Bump... hoping someone who has switched a car from oil to graphite could chime in.
    Pretty please ?

3. Ballistic Racing

Ballistic Racing District Champion #1 Ranked in the USA Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

No problem switching from oil to graphite, you’re already off to a good start. After you reapply the RR, burnish the wheel bores with graphite & continue with your axle prep.

4. Mojo Racing

Mojo Racing National Contender Pro Racer

no coming back from that move though...

If you are running good with the oil, you might just prep new wheels for graphite, because burnishing once you use graphite, that wheel is a graphite wheel from now on.

Dizzy likes this.
  5. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Thanks a bunch for the help guys! Mojo with these being Awana cars they don't see future use so at least it wont be a problem. But thanks for the good word though. Hadn't thought about that.
    well... then again... these Awana wheels are also being cut to 1.5 and a set to 1.3... shoot, now I don't want to go graphite with them. lol ahhh decisions decisions...

6. Pinewood Outlaw

Pinewood Outlaw District Champion

Curious.....my son had a car that ran oil....then had to clean and re prep for graphite.....after that I used alcohol and dawn to clean them before re prep again for oil and it ran .02 faster than first oil prep

7. CVRacing

CVRacing Pack Champion

I would prep new wheels and axles for those cars if you plan on participating at the Michigan AWANA State Grand Prix, oil is allowed. All Michigan AWANA Grand Prix events really need to get on the same page and start using one set of rules from the local through the State race.

8. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Interesting to hear. Thanks for sharing. I’ll be experimenting with this.

9. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

We won’t make states I don’t think. Just local SE MI regionals. For 2020 I will be more involved and plan on getting all schedules for the regions and rule sets. I am coming into this year’s races late to the party due to work. You know how that goes.

10. CVRacing

CVRacing Pack Champion

I know how busy things get but we would love to see you at the State race, it is April 27th at Kent City Baptist Church, registration is at 9 racing starts at 10:00.

Loud2ns and Jimmy & his 2 Kids like this.
  11. Loud2ns

Loud2ns Pack Champion

Yeah Jimmy, my family will be there also.

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  12. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Yeah I looked it up. Unfortunately it is more of a drive than either one of our clunkers can be trusted to make right now and the gas would be a doozy. But thank you for the invite! I really do appreciate it.
    Jimmy

Loud2ns likes this.
  13. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

I’ll be paying more attention to Awana next year as we get more involved. I would like to try and come out.

14. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Actually guys... I want to organize for next year taking the church bus and heading out. So this race... is it “State Championship?” Or another regionals? I want to learn how it all is organized. I think they would be interested in that as a group. And if this is State’s, do you have to register a win at regionals to enter?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  15. Loud2ns

Loud2ns Pack Champion

That would be cool. Next year I think they are trying to go to the middle of the state. Maybe even the upper middle, if I understood correctly.
    The race on April 27 is the state championship. Our regional race on the west coast was a couple weeks ago. They made a point to encourage all podium winners to attend the state race, but I'm not sure if it's a requirement or not. You could ask xjarcher. I think he knows one of the guys that runs it pretty well.

16. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Yeah him and I have been messaging back and forth about Awana. I had no clue it is as big as it is and am quite happy to hear about all this activity. I can’t wait to get further involved. I’ll ask him more about it.

Loud2ns likes this.
  17. CVRacing

CVRacing Pack Champion

Yes it is the Michigan AWANA State Race, not a regional race. Yes you have to win 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place speed or design at a regional race to race at States. There is a Facebook page where the State Race information will be posted it is Michigan AWANA Grand Prix State Championship.

Loud2ns and Jimmy & his 2 Kids like this.
  18. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

That’s just what I was looking for. Thanks CVR!!!

CVRacing likes this.
  19. CVRacing

CVRacing Pack Champion

No problem, happy to help. Any questions about the Michigan AWANA State race you should talk to xjarcher on this forum he organizes this event.

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  20. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Will do! Thanks again!