Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

SOooo...Its been a while

Discussion in 'General Pinewood Derby Discussion' started by Chief, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Chief

Chief PWD Royalty

Hey Everyone! I am sponcering and hosting a scout race in two weeks, and I got to thinking...What is the best way to stage the cars? Do you stage them as centered as possible? Do you have the DFW closer to the rail? Or farther from the rail? I just need to know so that I am consitstant and making sure that the cars can go as fast as possible for these young scouts so that maybe one day they will grow up to be Pros like y'all???
    Thank you!! Forgive me if this has been asked before, I did do a search btw...

Crash Enburn likes this.
  2. B_Regal Racing

B_Regal Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer

How are you? It has been a while since you posted.

For my cars, I center the rear and leave an air gap between the FDW and the rail; but I build my cars so the front is tight to the rail (very little play side to side) and the rear centered. I'm not sure cub scout parents are building like that. Given that, I would just center the rail between the front and back wheels.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  3. Darkside

Darkside District Champion

I and one of the scout leaders staged the cars on our scout race day. If someone had requested a particular staging we would have done it, but no one did, so all cars were staged on center front and rear with the rear wheels at the axle heads.

4. bracketracer

bracketracer PWD Royalty Pro Racer

Hi Chief!
    I stage the scout cars centered over the rail but I try to avoid touching the wheels because some of the scouts leave them really loose and I had more than one come off in my hand! I just set them on the track a couple inches up the hill and roll them down to the start pin. If they're built right the wheels will move out and if they're not, then it won't matter anyway! lol
    Good luck at your event!

Loud2ns likes this.
  5. HurriCrane Racing

HurriCrane Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

Hey Chief! I think Bracket is spot on.

Loud2ns likes this.
  6. Chief

Chief PWD Royalty

Thanx Gents! Sounds great, i just want to be fair and make sure I dont get accused of cheating because my kids are racing. Im thinking about starting over and sending in a car???Think I can win last place again???:p what do ya think?

7. Charles Studer

Charles Studer Workshop Leader Pro Racer

. Im thinking about starting over and sending in a car???Think I can win last place again???:pwhat do ya think?

Sorry Chief....thats my current spot. Hay I sense a pattern forming....

8. Chief

Chief PWD Royalty

HAHA!!! Race ya for it???

9. Charles Studer

Charles Studer Workshop Leader Pro Racer

Ok....I will have a BASX and an Unlimited at John's next race. But don't be mad at me if you win.... Lol