Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Sailkote Application

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by steinhurst, Jan 14, 2020.

1. steinhurst

steinhurst Bent Axle

After applying Sailkote to axles should I buff them or leave it as is?

2. Thinkin'Bout Racin

Thinkin'Bout Racin National Contender

Buff with a clean lint free cloth ...hang on to them carefully as the will be slippery!

Scott Porter and steinhurst like this.
  3. steinhurst

steinhurst Bent Axle

4. DerbyBoyRacing

DerbyBoyRacing Rail Runner

When I used Sailkote, I would spray some in small jar and let the axles set into the jar with the Sailkote for a couple of minutes. Then I would pull them out and let dry for good 30min or so. Then I put them back into my dermal on low and buff them and then blown with air. Worked great for us when we used graphite .

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Charles Studer and steinhurst like this.
  5. Tim DeBoer

Tim DeBoer Pinewood Ninja

Where does one get sailkote. I se oil. Should I use this is using oilm

6. Jupiter 2.9

Jupiter 2.9 District Champion Pro Racer

It's a racing sailboat product designed to repel salt & stuff.
    it comes in liquid or spray, West Marine or Amazon.

Can somebody convince me that is better than Furniture polish ?
    I haven't tried it yet & I'm not consistent enough to give it a fair test.

7. Thinkin'Bout Racin

I probably can't convince you, you will need to convince yourself. Yes, I feel it is better than pledge, but have no hard proof. There are too many variables in prepping with one vs. the other to obtain results that can be repeatable. We needed to use Sailkote because our rules specifically stated that silicone could not be used. The side of the Pledge container stated it contained silicones. We wanted to make sure we followed the rules.

We use DD4H products in prepping the wheels and axles along with Sailkote. We normally can get about 10-12 runs with a good prep before times dropped off.

Our district has an eight lane best track that is decent, but not great. Our last graphite car ran eight heat races and eight more runs in the finals. The car ran next to a variety of different competitors both on one side and on two sides. It was staged 16 different times and ran twice in each lane with different cars next to it. This car had a standard deviation of 0.0045 seconds over the 16 runs (see the top line in the second attachment). While this is not hard evidence of Sailkote's superiority, it does show hard evidence of what can be accomplished while using it . This was with BSA axles and hand selected wheels and was a lead weighted car. Attached are the print outs we received from the District. I highlighted the various lanes so a quick comparison could be made of the times in each lane. When you look at the difference on each run in a specific lane, the results are much more impressive! This goes to show that the greatest difference in the std deviation came from the differences in the lanes themselves.

On a side note, I have found that I REALLY like the Sailkote for a variety of different things! I use it on boat stuff, camper stuff and door hinges and latches. It really works well and does not collect dirt or grime like most other products.

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

8. KyleBCostco

KyleBCostco Rail Runner

What length track? Those are some impressive times if it is a 42ft track... I think my sons car ran a fast time of 3.03x, obviously lots of different variables but still.

9. Thinkin'Bout Racin

42' track, hill set at 26.2 degrees, no cleaning of wheels or adding lube between runs. You are correct, there are lots of variables and it is almost impossible to compare one track to another.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Charles Studer likes this.