Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Pin Gauge Set?

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by AHeiss, Jul 3, 2019.

1. AHeiss

AHeiss Lurking

Looking for a pin gauge set, any recommendations?
    My son and I have never burnished our wheel bores after the DD4H 3 step wheel bore process. Scout races we compete in are usually graphite, im not sure if people have a different method for oil. Do most guys burnish? If so it seems that it is ideal to have a pin gauge set to burnish. Thoughts?

2. Darkside

Darkside District Champion

I buy pin gauges made by Vermont Gage individually in the specific sizes I need. I use them for many things including testing alignment, classifying wheels by bore size, testing wheels for runout, and also use them in machining wheels.

I didn't buy them as a set because I didn't want a bunch of pin gauges that I would never use and also didn't want to spend the money for a quality set. There are some inexpensive sets on Ebay, but you're rolling the dice buying precision tooling off Ebay unless it's a reputable brand sold by a reputable seller. Individually they're not too expensive though. Only about $2.50 each.

3. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids National Contender

For league racing those gauges are mostly used for keeping tabs on wheel bore thickness. When polishing inner bores it’s pretty easy to go too far and increase the size beyond what’s best for speed. You don’t want the bores too big. So it's nice to be able to check inner bore thickness as you go.
    They are also nice when using to check alignment using 1.2.3 blocks or a method similar.
    Burnishing is always a good idea for a graphite car before assembling and adding graphite. Just my opinion though and I don’t use graphite any more so maybe folks with more graphite experience will chime in. I think I remember John saying burnishing was a good idea in the past.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  4. AHeiss

AHeiss Lurking

Thanks for the great info guys, Darkside I’m new to this and was looking on Amazon at individual pin gauges by Vermont Gauge. Makes since to have the ones you need. What sizes do you recommend?
    Also Jimmy referenced the alignment 1.2.3 blocks using pin gauges. I’ve never had any do you care to explain that process?
    We usually roll on a clean surface to check the drift.

5. Darkside

For drilling and alignment testing I use a pair of .089 minus. For testing bores and machining wheels I have pins from .095 minus up through .0975 plus and everything in between at .0005 plus and minus increments.

I have never used a pin gauge to burnish bores with graphite. I used loosened up Tamiya swabs for that.

Alignment process can be found in Lightnin boy's video here...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  6. Darkside

I will warn you, this is only the beginning. If you watch Lightnin boy's video and think to yourself "ya, that sounds reasonable" then buckle up. The PWD rabbit hole goes deep... :D

7. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids National Contender

Lol, REAL DEEP.
    The addiction is real dude... you’ve been warned. :cool: ;)

Darkside likes this.