Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Pin Gage Question/Help

Discussion in 'General Pinewood Derby Discussion' started by tomb, Apr 8, 2019.

1. tomb

tomb Pack Champion

Hello everyone; I'm just kind of starting to get more serious about pinewood derby obsession and I had a question about where to find pin gages and what specific size to get. I just purchased the Silver Bullet Extreme and will be using 93TX axles. I've been learning a ton on this forum from everyone and am very appreciative of all the information I've soaked in.

Thanks so much!

2. AJBinVA

AJBinVA Pinewood Ninja

I've had decent success getting pin gauges off of Amazon. I picked up a few .090s for drilling and checking alignments. and one ofs from .091 through 0.095 with some gaps.

But that was more impulse than informed purchasing for the particular sizes.

3. flockshot

flockshot Pinewood Ninja

I just got the first pin gauges I have ever owned and had them for a week. I am a newbie my and I got this set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shars-190-...698242?hash=item51a8fff742:g:aEcAAOSwI-BWN6Qs

It was about 35 bucks plus shipping in the .061-.250 size that covers all of our axles, bores, etc.

I like them fine. I especially like that even for a inexpensive set they have all the sizes laser etched on the pin in case they ever need to be identified visually.

4. tomb

tomb Pack Champion

Thanks; really appreciate the information. I was hoping to avoid getting a whole set but only get a couple singles to test drills done with a #43 bit. If this is the case, would a .090 be the best size to get or is it necessary to get a couple sizes on each side of this?

5. flockshot

flockshot Pinewood Ninja

That was my plan also. I went to McMaster Carr and Grangier to look, and they had what I wanted too.

6. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids League Racer

We’re you able to get single gauges from them?
    Pin gauges in the .095-.098 sizes are good for checking wheel bore size after polishing to make sure your bores aren’t getting too big.

7. flockshot

flockshot Pinewood Ninja

I chose to go with the set, rather than individual gauges. By the time I picked the gauges I wanted, along with their shipping, I was about at the price of a inexpensive set, so I went with the set.

8. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids League Racer

Makes sense. I still need to get some myself.

9. tomb

tomb Pack Champion

Same here; I found a set on Amazon for $50 and ordered an extra .089 to test drills.