Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Paint and Finish Ideas?

Discussion in 'General Pinewood Derby Discussion' started by Scott Porter, May 9, 2019.

1. Scott Porter

Scott Porter Pinewood Ninja

My first 8 cars or so were painted with a mix of lacquer and enamel. Love the enamel look but never really got hard. Now I have switched to Createx Acrylics and their clear coat. I like it way better for easier cleanup and spraying. I am looking for ideas on best clear coat and your finish process. Do you sand before clear coat? How much clear do you put on? Do you sand clear and if so with what grit(s) and then do you polish and wax? Please elaborate. Appreciate the help!

2. bracketracer

bracketracer PWD Royalty Pro Racer

When the kids want to paint, we get Model Master lacquer at the hobby shop. Lacquer dries quickly and the cans are small so they're not too heavy for them to use. I picked up a cheap pistol grip attachment that snaps onto the cans at Home Depot so they can use a couple fingers to trigger the spray. Mostly though, we use Monokote trim sheets instead of painting. It's usually about 20 degrees when we're building the cars and way too cold to paint outside.

We only sand the primer usually, sometimes the color if there's a run or a bug in it, never the clear. Depending on how rushed we are, it might get waxed before assembly.

Scott Porter likes this.
  3. Scott Porter

Thanks! I understand the spray can challenge for the little hands. We actually are using an airbrush to paint acrylics and they are doing an awesome job handling it. Thanks for the input on sanding. What are you using for a sanding filler? Or is it a spray primer that is a filler? I have tried different things but still seem to have some wood grain showing through the paint.

4. Chief

Chief PWD Royalty

You will always get wood grain to show using lacquer and or 1K paints. The wood will always absorb the paint, and lacquer never really dries. But as far as rattle can clear goes, I really like Upol...it is pricey but worth it if you want that super shine. Or you can always do what I used to do, and use automotive grade paints but that is WAY expensive and it absolutely does NOT make your cars any faster...just sayin:D
    I have several cars that are pretty old and they to this day do not show an ounce of wood grain.(i can tell you how to accomplish that) If you search you might see some old pics I have posted...they were not fast though haha

Scott Porter likes this.
  5. Mojo Racing

Mojo Racing National Contender Pro Racer

Tell your other paint finish story Chief! ! ! ! :rolleyes:;)

Chief likes this.
  6. Chief

Chief PWD Royalty

:(NO I don’t wanna

Mojo Racing likes this.
  7. Scott Porter

Txs! Nice to know the wood grain elimination is more just perfectionism and doesn't impact speed. How about wax? Or is that like the wood grain too?

8. Chief

Chief PWD Royalty

I don’t know about waxing the cars? I have mixed feelings about that, probably just personal issues haha. It can’t hurt! Try it and see?

9. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Hammering Axles

The pack and district here are graphite only. I've found waxing the cars means that excess graphite can be wiped right off.

Scott Porter likes this.
  10. Scott Porter

Txs! Will do.

11. Scott Porter

Txs for that experience.

12. Mojo Racing

Mojo Racing National Contender Pro Racer

When I have done my "show" cars, after applying my clear coat, I wet sand with 2,500 grit sandpaper. Then I wax the car with a Mother's paste wax. It shines like it rolled off the showroom floor. The finish is amazing.

It does become slick to handle though. So, if it isn't YOU handling your car, you might rethink this.

Scott Porter likes this.
  13. HurriCrane Racing

HurriCrane Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

Lacquer all the way. Duplicolor works well, dries fast and hard. Not as wide of a selection as the model master but is less expensive

Scott Porter likes this.
  14. Scott Porter

Txs! What are you using for clear? Appreciate the warning on the slickness.

15. Scott Porter

I will check that out. Have you ever tried Acrylics? They airbrush nice and are a breeze to clean up. Just struggling with the clear not looking so clear. Also not as bad of fumes. Congrats on all you racing success!

16. bracketracer

I had them use Rustoleum sandable filler primer, we used 3M red cap putty for any dinks before sanding the primer.

Scott Porter likes this.
  17. bracketracer

I bought a few colors of Createx paint at Hobby Lobby to try with an airbrush but I haven't used it yet. Colors look great in the bottles! LOL

Scott Porter likes this.
  18. Scott Porter

Thanks for the idea on the sandable-filler and "red-cap".

19. Scott Porter

Yes, they (Createx) have awesome colors. awesome pearls, brights and neon's. Easy to cleanup. I just haven't mastered their clear yet. Working on it. Have fun with them.

20. Brian Stanley

Brian Stanley Pinewood Ninja

I 've had good luck shooting water based polyurethane through my airbrush as the clear coat.

Scott Porter likes this.