Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Pack Race Online

Discussion in 'General Pinewood Derby Discussion' started by flockshot, May 20, 2020.

1. flockshot

flockshot Rail Runner

The leaders of my grandson's pack ran their race via the internet and they did a really good job. They had three camera views running. One of the long track, one of the finish line and race results, and one of the computer screen showing the times. All the boys could log in and watch live and it turned out very good.

The guy I crew chief for did have the fastest car and finished first, so that was good too.

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  2. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids National Contender

Nice. So what program did he use? Like Zoom or something similar? Would love to know how they managed the 3 separate camera views and made those available to switch to during the stream... whether separate or split screen.
    Our church is thinking about rescheduling our Awana GP for this summer but as the Stay At Home Order up here in MI keeps getting extended we might not be able to live. Might consider this option since we already stream live the church services.
    I would like to research this option further. Sounds like a great option.

Jimmy

3. flockshot

flockshot Rail Runner

I am in MI also.
    They did use ZOOM and set it up like a meeting. In the meeting you could see everybody that was logged in and they told everyone to "turn off video" and "mic" at the bottom left of the screen Then you could click on a message that said something like "only show participants that have video on" (not the actual words).
    So the three cameras were actually the only three meeting members that had 'video on'. The rest of us could post any chat messages that we wanted and they would flash up on the screen so the kids had fun with that talking about the races and saying hi to their friends during the races.
    I don't know if I have made this clear or not so ask away if you have questions. I know nothing about the program but when they sent me a link, it loaded and opened without any messing around. I was very impressed. They included a meeting number and password in the email and I didn't even have to use it. The link pretty much did it all for me.

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  4. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids National Contender

Yeah we are SE MI. Just north of Detroit. So that’s a slick way of using Zoom with that many folks. I am real familiar with it. Our kids use it for both online classes with teachers and also youth group meetings with church. I use it for church meetings as well.
    So they are using it in the perfect way too. That all makes sense. Explanation was crystal clear. Thanks
    Stock in Zoom has got to be sky rocketing right now with the pandemic!

flockshot likes this.