Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Outlaw length

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by AceMontana, May 31, 2019.

1. AceMontana

AceMontana District Champion Pro Racer

There is a family outlaw race coming at the end of this month...there are only 2 rules..max weight is 5 oz and max length of 10" ....question is this...is the 10" overkill? Ive started a 10" ladder body and my thinking is that the 10" will be alot more push down the hill and thinking the extra leverage on the fdw would require less drift to keep it against the rail....anyone played with this theory?

2. Mojo Racing

Mojo Racing National Contender Pro Racer

You are on the right track! :cool:

3. bracketracer

bracketracer PWD Royalty Pro Racer

Definitely max out whatever length you can. With only 5 oz spread out over 10" make sure the DFW weight doesn't get light. It will have greater leverage with the long wheelbase but you need to consider the racing surface too. Is the track in great shape or poor?

4. AceMontana

I havent seen this particular track in a couple years but as i recall its in fair shape...that being just a cut above poor...but i had thought about dropping 1 or two 1/4" cubes just in front of the FDW just so it doesnt bounce as much

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  5. bracketracer

bracketracer PWD Royalty Pro Racer

I wouldn't put cubes that far forward, just build it like you normally would and check the DFW weight. Shift a cube or two forward in the front weight pocket to get the DFW weight where you want it. Putting cubes up front will likely make the front way too heavy.

Loud2ns likes this.
  6. AceMontana

Soooo i just got off the phone with the organizers of this event....seems they are allowing propulsion!!!! ....ohhhh this is gonna be fun!!!!!