Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Opinion on what oils pros are using.

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by Gso125, Feb 13, 2019 at 9:23 AM.

1. Gso125

Gso125 Pinewood Ninja

While reading up and watching the dd4h video on the oil process I was wondering what the pros use for oil after prepping wheels and then axels with jig-a-loo. Like most I have so many different types, weights, thick, thin, silicone type oils. I’ll be ordering some stuff soon for prepping from some the vendors on here getting ready to try jumping into the BASX Am race. Thanks

2. Eric Garnaat

Eric Garnaat Lurking

The only option is a Krytox based concoction, I get mine from DD4H.
    https://www.derbydad4hire.com/Hater-Sauce-Pinewood-Derby-Oil-L-HS.htm

3. SuperSlow

SuperSlow District Champion

You are for sure gonna want to get a vendor oil that has been formulated particularly for pwd. Some of these guys have spent insane amounts of money formulating oils to run a few thousanths faster than krytox, everybody jumps on the next best thing.

4. B_Regal Racing

B_Regal Racing PWD Royalty Pro Racer

There are many different oils out sold by vendors: John's original mix, Hater Sauce, D1, X1, BB Extreme, and Spacewalker Oil, just to name a few. Most, but not all, are a Krytox based with an additive. Almost every pro uses one of these oils or a combination there of. I do not know of anyone that makes there own from raw materials. That being said, each racer has their own combination of wax and oil they race with. Its not important to know which oil a pro is using, but rather how the oil you select is supposed to be used. In John's original mix, less is better and that prep will last for months to come. By contrast, D1, which is not sold anymore, would only last a week, and you had to apply it generously. I know this because I spent significant time with each. If you use the oil correctly, they are all fast; but that is the trick - to use the oil correctly. Like SuperSlow said, you really do want to purchase oil from a vendor. That vendor will help you use the oil correctly. Jphn, in particular, has posted videos exactly how to use his oil, which should help...

Jimmy & his 2 Kids and SuperSlow like this.