Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Oil or not to oil?

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by Reedy26, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Reedy26

Reedy26 Pinewood Ninja

So last year we did graphite. Dominated the pack race and ended up getting second at district by about 2-3 car lengths. Some of this was due to my misunderstanding of the rules and we did not turn the wheels at all. I just polished the bores, packed them with graphite and went racing.

So this year we want to maximize our performance. Wheels will be turned and while reading the rules came across these excerpts regarding axle lube. My interpretation is that we can use oil.

My understanding from previous post's is that our council uses a modified version of the mid america rules.

Attached Files:

2. DerbyDoctor

DerbyDoctor Pack Champion

If those are the only rules regarding axle lubrication than it appears you could use it, however, the common consensus is that unless it says you can use oil or you know that others are using it, you should probably ask those in charge of the derby if it's legal, to avoid a race day issue and an upset kid.

Castoro Racing likes this.
  3. Racing358t

Racing358t Pinewood Ninja

I'd use oil if those were my rules. I wouldn't even ask. There is nothing in those rules that says you can't and they imply that you can. I can guarntee others are gonna use oil with that ruleset. I understand verifying but if I verified and was told no but then later found out others were that would be a bigger mess. IMO, there are no implied rules.

Scott

4. Mojo Racing

Mojo Racing National Contender Pro Racer

Ask.

That first pic is the bottom of the page that tells all the things that you cannot have on your car.

Loud2ns likes this.
  5. Loud2ns

Loud2ns Pinewood Ninja

I agree, ask. It says oil in the list of prohibited items.

6. Racing358t

Racing358t Pinewood Ninja

It has in parenthesis "Other than AXLE lubrication" in the same sentence. To me that says it is ok as long as the oil is ONLY being used as lube in the bore.

Just clarifying my reasoning before it gets twisted into something it isn't

Scott

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020 at 11:31 AM