Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

NYC championships

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by optimus, Jun 29, 2019.

1. optimus

optimus Pinewood Ninja

Good luck to all that are racing in NYC today!!

JamieM likes this.
  2. Gso125 Racing

Gso125 Racing District Champion

Just finally passed prostock after having to pull my front axels out a little wider because it was tight in there inspection box. Good luck everyone

3. TRE

TRE PWD Royalty Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

What time does the race start

4. Gso125 Racing

Races started earlier. Just finished heat 1 pro stock. I don’t know how many heats but people are still checking in.

5. aircooled

aircooled National Contender

Is there any live feed or other postings of the races?

6. Gso125 Racing

Not that I’m aware of

7. TRE

This race is a joke

8. TRE

Making guys tear the car apart for no reason

optimus and JamieM like this.
  9. JamieM

JamieM Pinewood Ninja

My Lion scout missed the Prostock Extreme 18 Championship by 13 ten thousands of a second!

10. Gso125 Racing

11. AHeiss

AHeiss Lurking

Congratulations that’s impressive. They had some really great cars. My son finished 14th overall and 5th in Webelos 1. We will keep trying he’s got 1 more year.

optimus and Gso125 Racing like this.
  12. JamieM

JamieM Pinewood Ninja

optimus and Gso125 Racing like this.
  13. JamieM

JamieM Pinewood Ninja

We had two cars registered and i had to pull an axle from both cars! It’s interesting how the inspectors are behind partitions and not in public eye. We’ve only attended regionals for the first time this winter so I’m not sure this is standard protocol.

14. TRE

No reason to take cars behind a partition

optimus likes this.
  15. FDM

FDM District Champion

Did they make you pull an axle out totally? Or did you have visibility holes? We didn't have those visibility holes and had to pull an axle. Which resulted in lots of finger prints over a finely prepped axle. I wonder if all cars without visibility holes had to pull an axle? Rules stated you didn't need those holes for pro-stock. I have to say this years inspection felt more thorough than last years.

We had the same issue with having to pull the raised front axle out to made the front a bit wider. Basically it went from a locked raised wheel to a just spinning front wheel, no big deal.

16. FDM

FDM District Champion

I agree, however the partition could be there to keep the inspectors from being bothered by people who cars are inspected at the moment. You could easily see though the gaps of the partition though.

And maybe next time they can inspect the whole car first, report what is wrong so you can correct all at once, instead of the current process of correcting one item and then later, after going through the whole process again, you might have to correct another item, and then waiting for the inspection again.

17. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids National Contender

Reminds me why I am glad we don’t race scouts. Awana suits us just fine. Not as much racing but man I gotta hand it to you guys, you sure handle the ridiculousness of their inspection antics quite well.

18. Gso125 Racing

What happened was we failed the first inspection station. That was the basic inspection station.

My dominant wheel was canted down a little too much and front end a little to narrow. I had the NDFW pinned. They said it was wider than 2.75in so I forgot to bring a small ruler. I did find a guy with digital calipers and I was 2.50in.

So I went back and questioned again what failed and a staff member came out to the pit stop area with a wooden test block and as I thought it was hard to put it on for the 1.34in space between axels. I pulled out the NDFW about an 1/8th inch and it was still tight so I pulled out my dominant wheel it came out an 1/8 or more and then I pushed it back in a little bit until it fit his test block.

I sent it back and the now lady behind doing the inspection called me back to her and it was still failing. She has a clear plastic inspection box with the rail in it and when the car was in that it did not fit easy on the block but it would ride on it if you moved the wheel down on the rail with my finger. I now had to tweak the wheel by pulling up on it to take a little cant out of it. In the end I got it to roll in there box tightly and they warned me if it got stuck rolling it would be disqualified.

I advised I have a besttrack and shouldn’t be a problem other than I ruined any tune I had in it. This was my fault not there’s I messed up not double checking on a pinewood block after I built it. lesson learned.

At the end when I was leaving I did speak a little with an inspector. He was telling me they did have to pull a bunch of axels this year and applied graphite. We did talk about how how fast some of the cars have been in the past races ie:2.94s scout cars. He said they are very aware people may have used oil and any suspected cars they added graphite. He seemed to be a great guy trying to make everything as fair as they could. All in all it was a great time.

19. FDM

FDM District Champion

I was surprised that our front end was also to narrow, but again I also never checked at home. The car we raced already had run on a best track at our Pack and District level with no problems so I never thought on checking it. Luckily we could could fix it by just pulling the NDFW out. We just put it on the wooden test block and pushed the NDFW in until it was snug and car could still be fitted on test block without too much resistance. It's another story if you have to pull your DFW out, bigger gap is not really what you want.

I am glad they took notice of the super fast times from last year, I thought they already added graphite last year too if they suspected no graphite, although it's easy to apply some graphite to the car or outside wheel and use oil in the bore. Personally I wouldn't mind them pulling axles after the race and inspecting axles and wheels for oil, and weight of wheel. I am not a big fan of someone else applying graphite (of unknown origin and quantity) to our wheels.

Gso125 Racing likes this.
  20. Gso125 Racing

I said the same to him that most people would have no problem at end of race pulling the DFW to check. One thing I will do if we’re lucky enough to go back is glue my axels after I verify it fits the inspection block and if they want to add graphite go for it and at the end of the race they can pull everything apart I wouldn’t care haha.