Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Need opinions please

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by DuckOfAllTrades, Feb 10, 2019.

1. DuckOfAllTrades

DuckOfAllTrades League Racer

I’m over thinking this whole scout pinewood derby thing! Can I get honest opinions/help?

We have to have four wheels touching which isn’t easy to create s rail rider with, at least for me. All axles have to be stock, keep in mind. No bending. I have a ton of axles! So I poured through them all and chose 3 of the straightest and one that was not straight! Just slight imperfections. I then installed the axles. Wheels have to be touching, but I floated one of the front wheels. It touched and rolls, but barely. I then turned the non straight axle til I was able to get 3-4 inches of drift. It works great! Consistent each time, but...

Is this a bad idea? Last thing I want to do is hurt my scouts chances.! Could this possibly work, or am I better off going straight.

Thanks in advance.

2. TRE

TRE PWD Royalty Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

It should work

3. Darkside

Darkside Pinewood Ninja

My honest opinion... Yes. You are overthinking it. ;)

You may need to take a defibrillator on race day. I have a feeling your blood pressure will be through the roof once you turn that car in. :D

4. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids League Racer

That’s a tuff one to answer. Technically speaking you did not break any rules. You did not bend an axle. Really it would only boil down to someone complaining if you crush them pointing out yours is a rail rider. But as long as there is nothing in the rules saying you can’t rail ride or turn your stock unbent axle I would have no problem standing my ground if called out.
    And nice job getting that steer out of 4 on the floor with straight axles!
    Do they allow drilling or is it slot only?

Jimmy

5. DuckOfAllTrades

No drilling, strict! To find the out of shape axles, I put them in my drill press and found the most wobbly! I went though a lot of axles. Some of the drift could be because the axle slots aren’t straight as well.

6. Darkside

Darkside Pinewood Ninja

When is your race?

I think you may be at the point where the only way to know for sure is to run the car on a track. You can get a few sections of practice track on Ebay if you have enough time. They're something like $4 per 2 ft section plus shipping. Even 10 ft of track would be enough to give you an idea of how the car will run.

Just a thought.

7. DuckOfAllTrades

I’ve actually got enough test track to create 2 20 foot lanes. We race the cars to see which is fastest, just straight up race. Haven’t figured out how to actually time the cars but working on it.

That being said, I honestly don’t know what to look for. Do you have any tips to help tell what’s going on? Like what to look for, what can be actually helpful from racing on a test track besides just racing cars against one another.

8. Darkside

Darkside Pinewood Ninja

Well there ya go. Without a timer, all you can do is run them like you are. We did the same thing. We would run the new car against the previous year's car without making changes to the previous year's car. Just using it as the baseline. That way we could see if any changes made the new car faster or slower. The ultimate test is a full length test track with a timer. Without that you're just looking for a run that looks fast smooth stable and consistent.

I think you've done all you can do man. My guess is it's already 10 times more than most everyone else. Barring any unforeseen snafus you should be good.

9. DuckOfAllTrades

Oh, and my race day is 2/22, tech day is 2/16. I’ll get to run them in the track then.

10. DuckOfAllTrades

Yes, I will need a defibluator! I may have to take up drinking. I’m a calm, patient person, nothing gets to me. But for some reason race day kills my nerves! I seriously shake until after a few runs, finally settling down.

Let me do add, I’m not the guy that is ultra competitive as far as my kids go. They don’t have to win, I’m proud of them and had a great time building these cars TOGETHER. That being said, I never want to let my kids down! No matter what, I will most likely be hard on myself and think “I didn’t do enough to help the succeed.” I just want to help them do their best and I think we’ve done that. :)

I seriously DO have a problem though! No exaggeration, I’ve made 18 cars! Most are mine. Kids have two each. I made cars trying a little bit of everything. Oil cars, graphite cars, RR, etc. I’ve also built cars for two sets of rules. If I win, not saying I will! But if I’m blessed enough to go to districts, I want to have a car in place that will meet there rules, and I want to have it done by 2/16 so I can race on tech day. That way I have a month to tune, and I’ll know what I have. Pack is 3 wheel and can use oil, district is 4 wheel and graphite.

Darkside likes this.
  11. DuckOfAllTrades

Does anyone know if results on a plastic test track carry over to the real track? Like if it seems fast on a 20 foot test track, is it most likely going to be fast on the real track? Just wonder if they have any relation, I know they are two entirely different things.

We have last years cars to judge speed, we race against those and try to beat them.

12. Darkside

Darkside Pinewood Ninja

LOL! I'm sure 90% of the folks on this site have been there or are there, myself included. I'm not sure what it is about scout racing but it turns me into a neurotic mess. I'm not normally that competitive but for some reason little slabs of wood with plastic wheels put me on another level. It's resulted in some quality time with my boy and given me an opportunity to teach him some skills that most kids don't get to learn so it's all good.

I am looking forward to racing in the leagues though. I'm hoping that'll be less stressful... We'll see. :)

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  13. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids League Racer

Um... yeah... about that... :confused: :mad: :rolleyes: :cool:

Thinkin'Bout Racin likes this.
  14. TRE

TRE PWD Royalty Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

Its worse alot harder to win

Loud2ns likes this.
  15. Darkside

Darkside Pinewood Ninja

I don't doubt that, but losing I can handle. Living up to the lofty expectations of a 9 year old that thinks his dad can do anything, that's the stressful part.

When I lose in the leagues I at least won't have to face the devastated and teary eyes of my boy... I just have to face the disappointed and annoyed eyes of my wife... And I'm totally used to that. :D

16. DuckOfAllTrades

I hear you! The first year we raced, I was faced with “daddy, why didn’t I get a trophy?” No tears thankfully! So I made certain the next year was different! Letting them down is no option. I have a weblo boy and a tiger girl racing this year. I’m hoping they have to face each other at the pack level! But so much is luck when the rules are so strict, IMO.

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  17. Joe

Joe Bent Axle

18. DuckOfAllTrades

Thanks! The swan-tech one is a good possibility on my budget. Might be a little above my skill level, but might be able to swing it! Looks like a fun project. Definitely going to get more information. I've also thought of trying to build one out of a stop watch. Have a plan, it might work. Stressing might. I know it wouldn't be too accurate, but better than nothing.

19. AceMontana

AceMontana District Champion Pro Racer

That sounds exactly like what i did for my scout last year...he crushed everyone at pack level and finished 5th at districts....looking back i think our COM was too conservative for the cars at district level but we had no idea what to expect since it was our first go at it...this year the plan is the same with a much more agressive COM.

DuckOfAllTrades likes this.
  20. DuckOfAllTrades

That is GREAT to here.

What was your COM last year? And what are you going for this year?