Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Need help with damaged car

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by cara424, Feb 12, 2019.

1. cara424

cara424 Pinewood Ninja

Despite being told NOT to play with his car... He did... and we have split wood right at the acel slot... What do I do? Glue, epoxy? upload_2019-2-12_13-9-23.jpeg

2. CM02WS6

CM02WS6 Pinewood Ninja Pro Racer

Glue it back into position. CA glue would be quicker, but wood glue would be fine too if you can clamp it in position. If you can remove the wheel then do that, otherwise be very careful not to get glue out by the wheel hub.

3. cara424

cara424 Pinewood Ninja

We have 2 weeks till districts. I”ll have to pull the wheel. Right after I calm down.

4. Thinkin'Bout Racin

Thinkin'Bout Racin League Racer

We have all been there ....kids will be kids and the new toy is just so tempting! ;) Take a breath and relax a bit. This is fixable.

Use this incident as a teachable moment. Then explain that if this happened the night before the races, that you might not be able to fix the car in time. Then tell him that you will "do your best" just like a scout to try and make the car the best it can be.

CA glue is fast and strong. However, based on the time you have I would lean toward wood glue and a clamp. That way you will have a chance to position it correctly. There are plenty of ridges in that break to help with positioning along with adding surface area for strength. I would also recommend removing the wheel and clamping securely overnight. I then would wait another day before installing the axle and wheel. Set the steer as needed and then hope for the best.

Be glad this was not a rear wheel as it would be more difficult to get it right. Speaking of which, make sure to look over all of the wheels and axles. If it got dropped, then there is a good chance that the wheels may have also taken a hit. Look for noticeable dent and chips. If some are found, you still have time to address those too!

Good Luck!!!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  5. AceMontana

AceMontana District Champion Pro Racer

I used 5 minute epoxy on the break my scout made to his....almost identical break...i rubbed some candle wax on a junk axle...inserted it epoxy and once dry i removed the junk axle and replaced tge wheel...held up through pack and districts no sweat...its now on the shelf with his trophy ;)

Joanna Barker likes this.
  6. "The Fonze"

"The Fonze" District Champion Pro Racer

I would build another one, it’s good practice.

Gso125 Racing and TRE like this.
  7. TRE

TRE PWD Royalty Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

Me too

"The Fonze" likes this.
  8. Reecedad

Reecedad Council Champion

Me three

"The Fonze" likes this.
  9. txchemist

txchemist National Contender

are you drilling axle holes even if they are in the slot?
    If running graphite, what sort of spin time do you get.
    Usually new racers worry about weights when so many other things need attention.

10. cara424

cara424 Pinewood Ninja

Not sure I understand what you are talking about. I hand drilled the existing axel slots with a jig to make sure they went in straight and easy. I am assuming you mean how many rotations I get whrn spinning wheels. I am not sure I tested that thoroughly. What should I be getting? Yes, I was obsessed with weight placement to get an agressive COM. But slso did good prep work on axels. I think What are some key things us scout parents forget sbout?

11. txchemist

If you used a jig then in general you are OK on alignment. ( some jigs are better than others- search for tips on testing for drill accuracy with 123 blocks etc.) If you have the equipment and time, better to drill holes into solid wood, and then put in the saw cut to just allow the axle to show. (if rules say that they need to see it)
    Good graphite spins should go over 20 sec. Superior prep can hit 26-30 sec range. You want to put the two longest spinning wheels on the back of the car.

12. "The Fonze"

"The Fonze" District Champion Pro Racer

Monty did you reply to the wrong post by accident?

13. txchemist

probably- I just had it all come to mind looking at the busted axle wood that is usually the case when just pounding a nail into the wood, much easier to break. Now that I think about it- I can not recall an out of the box axle ever NOT getting bent from a drop or crash, so replace that axle if any question.

14. cara424

cara424 Pinewood Ninja

15. cara424

cara424 Pinewood Ninja

I will remember some of that for next time. Meanwhile I have about 23 on my back wheels but I am hearing too much chatter from one of them and noticing quite a bit of movement in and out. Do you think I should replace it?

16. Thinkin'Bout Racin

Thinkin'Bout Racin League Racer

I am not a pro, but this might help .....

Quiet wheels are fast wheels ...try the noisy wheel on the other rear axle. If it is still noisy then replace it. If it is now quiet, then the issue is the axle.

cara424 likes this.