Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Ladder car question

Discussion in 'General Pinewood Derby Discussion' started by Derby addict, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Derby addict

Derby addict Bent Axle

So as we approach scout pinewood derby season, I asked my daughter, who is a Webelos, what kind of car design she wants to make. And for the second year she said a thin fast car. Last year was our first time making pwd cars, so I though our 5/8 car was doing good. After reading many posts on this site I now know that 1/4 ladder cars are possible. But here is my concern, are council requires that we use axle slots. So my question is it even structural feasible to build a ladder car with slots. My concern is that the body would be very week in the slot area. Just wondering if this has ever successfully been done

2. Gso125 Racing

Gso125 Racing District Champion

Yes but I go 5/16 on bodies and check For flexibility as I sand down to 1/4 in. If I go to thin I glue on 1/64 birch to stiffen up

Charles Studer likes this.
  3. TRE

TRE PWD Royalty Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

If you have to have 4 wheels touching and you are drilling canted holes its probably gonna be too thin and break

4. Derby addict

Derby addict Bent Axle

We do not have to have 4 wheels touching, but plan on filling the outer part of the slots and drilling canted rears. In your opinion how thin could I go?

5. TRE

Just drill the holes at the bottom of the block then cut the slots back in with hacksaw blade or bandsaw if you have one you should be fine just make the axle housing thicker than 1/4 wide

Charles Studer likes this.
  6. TRE

Soak the axle housings with super glue