Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

How to Steer Drilled Axle Holes

Discussion in 'Alignment' started by Patrick J Connolly, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Patrick J Connolly

Patrick J Connolly Hammering Axles

I plan to drill axle holes this year, but I wanted to know how you adjust the steer on the car then to create a rail rider. I'm not sure drilling at the correct angle is a good plan so I'm counting on there being some adjustment, but without bending the axles, I am having trouble visualizing the proper adjustment without just kind of forcing the axle a little in the direction I want it to steer and then fixing it somehow in place once I get it there. I plan to drill it with the wheel angled for the cant, but not for the steer. Any input here is appreciated.

2. Brian Stanley

Brian Stanley Rail Runner Pro Racer

You can drill the hole with the cant and a bit of toe in (slanted toward the front of the car). I'm guessing your rules don't allow for bending axles? If this is the case it is unlikely that all of the axles in your kit are straight. Figure out which one is the least straight and use that one for the steer wheel. Twist it a bit at a time until you get the steer you want.

3. DerbyDad4Hire

DerbyDad4Hire Administrator Staff Member 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

Can you bend the axle?

4. Patrick J Connolly

Patrick J Connolly Hammering Axles

I can bend the axle. Sure. What is the preferred method? Drill it straight and bend it? If so, what angle should it be bend to?

5. Craigs Cruzer

Craigs Cruzer Hammering Axles

We drill ours straight and bend the axle 3 degrees. I've seen some put more bend in, but the more bend you have, the more touchy the car will be when trying to adjust the steer of the car.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020 at 4:37 PM
  6. DerbyBoyRacing

DerbyBoyRacing Pinewood Ninja

I would put more than a 3 degree bend in the front axle if it was me.

Scott Porter and Castoro Racing like this.
  7. Scott Porter

Scott Porter Pinewood Ninja

I agree 3 degrees is not enough. I think I started bending my steering axles about 5 degrees and since have increased that from input from this awesome forum. The greatest challenge is to try to measure your axle angles. I have a very nice bender but it doesn't tell me my finished angle. Peter Drucker once said " Ultimately it's not about who's right or who's wrong, it's about what works". I would encourage you to try different axle bends to see what work's best for you. And I would love for someone to invent and market an axle angle indicator. I would buy it for sure. :)

8. Gso125 Racing

Gso125 Racing District Champion

Maybe a little protector

9. Scott Porter

Scott Porter Pinewood Ninja

Yep, I have one but the little rascals (axles) are still not easy to measure to the exact degree of angle. Having fun adjusting my bender to get measurable increments. Still loads of fun for me and many things to discuss with the boys on their cars.