Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

How much graphite

Discussion in 'General Pinewood Derby Discussion' started by Jupiter Derby 2.9, Aug 1, 2019.

?

How much graphite good coverage or pack wheels tight

1. simple coverage dust & spin

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Pack tight prior to instalation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jupiter Derby 2.9

Jupiter Derby 2.9 Hammering Axles

Is there such a thing as to much graphite, or "after a good prep process" is a simple amount sufficient ?
    My scout pack has an old 6 lane track so we have to run 6 times use the average then 6 more times in the final run off.
    At the district & counsel level we only run a 3 lane track & the single fastest time is posted & that's it, no run off.
    To light you may have wheel chatter to much packing & you have an out of round bore.
    1 hot lap vs. 12
    I'd like to hear the opinions.

DerbyDoctor likes this.
  2. Darkside

Darkside District Champion

From what I understand packing the bores with graphite is an old idea that didn't really work. But I never tried it, so I can't say that with 100% certainty.

My process with graphite was to polish the bores and then burnish them with graphite. Then I'd insert an axle that was polished and prepped with lemon pledge. With the axle mostly inserted in the car I'd dust the inner hub and spin the wheel to work it in the bore and then dust the outter hub and spin again to work it in. Finish inserting the axle in the car and set the gaps. Done.

3. Jupiter Derby 2.9

Jupiter Derby 2.9 Hammering Axles

Thanks, Ill keep doing what I,m doing and concentrate on other stuff like balance & alignment. Go figure first things first.

Charles Studer likes this.
  4. Charles Studer

Charles Studer Workshop Leader Pro Racer

I only use as much as the pencil holds....