Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Hello

Discussion in 'General Pinewood Derby Discussion' started by Carl ODay, Aug 14, 2019.

?

Build or buy a test track?

1. Build - wood

22.2%
  2. Build - aluminum plate (from the Scout shop)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Build - Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Buy - BestTrack

88.9%
  5. Buy - Derby Magick

11.1%
  6. Buy - Super Track

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Buy - Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Carl ODay

Carl ODay Hammering Axles

My daughter joined Cub Scouts last year and her first Pinewood Derby race got me hooked. Back in the dark ages, when I was a Cub, there was no internet and not much information on what produces a fast PWD car. I must say, I geeked out and my 6yo got a lesson on the conversion of potential to kinetic energy and the evils of friction. Not sure she understands much other than all the time spent polishing axles paid off - she got second place.

My goal moving forward is to teach the kids as much as I can about the physics involved and try to show them that science isn't just about books and classrooms - it has fun applications. As part of this I am looking to get/build a test track. My research shows that I will spend an insane amount of time trying to build an tune a track and that purchasing, while expensive, will alleviate a lot of frustration. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. TRE

TRE PWD Royalty Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

I would buy 1 lane best track

3. flockshot

flockshot Pinewood Ninja

I built mine. Two lanes, plywood/polyurethane, and aluminum rail. There are some pictures in my DIY Hybrid post.

I had most of the stuff, so it only cost me about $100 to make and my grandkids think it's great.

I am a 'scout car' guy, and don't league race. I just need to know which cars, axles and wheels that I have, are the fastest. My track does that.

If you expect to get 'league racing' results, you will need to buy and 'league quality' track, simple as that.

4. Carl ODay

I took a look at your Hybrid post and that track looks awesome.

flockshot likes this.
  5. Darkside

Darkside District Champion

As far as I know the Super track doesn't have a center rail. So unless that's what your troop is running on, I wouldn't go that route. If you can afford it and / or plan on league racing in the future, definitely get a Best Track. Otherwise, any track is better than no track.

When we first started really getting into the hobby, I bought a Derby Magic track because that's what my son's troop raced on. The thought was to test and tune on the same kind of track he would be racing on. It's been a good track, but now that he's on his last year of racing and I've gotten into league racing, I'll be upgrading to a Best Track soon.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Charles Studer likes this.
  6. Carl ODay

Thanks for the input about super track. I hadn't given any thought to the car riding on a rail or in a channel... Is there any resale value on a one or two lane best track?

7. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids National Contender

I would say serious resale on a Best Track. Guys who got the addiction realize going into league racing, which is awesome by the way, but doing that the ability to finely test and tune you benefit the most by having your own track. Used Best Tracks do t last long and sell fairly fast. I always look to see if any are for sale.
    A new single one (no timer) 35’ test track is just over 500.00 shipped. But you need a timer but those can be built cheap.

8. Carl ODay

Thanks for the info. Their prices must have dropped a one lane 35'er is 419 with shipping. I'm pretty sure I can build a timer with some phototransisters I have and an arduino. I have visions of a push button starter that operates a solenoid at the start and has several timers along the track so I can measure speed ad multiple points... we'll see if my electronics abilities can keep up with my imagination...

9. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids National Contender

Wow I am happy to say that you are right and I was wrong! So yeah, either prices went down (doubt that) or I got my pricing mixed up. This actually is a good thing as my plan is to get the single lane test track as soon as I save enough pennies. I may have been looking at pricing on the 2 lane. We are involved in Awana Grand Prix and I originally wanted at least a 2 lane in order to promote some more racing besides just once a year. But once I got involved in league racing I am really wanting to get the single as early as I am able just for tuning. I can always expand when $ permits. Chuy over at NPWDRL has done a real good job utilizing the arduino board for timers and it’s surprisingly cheap for those with the know how. I am thinking you are once of those. He’s also putting together remote start gates too if I’m not mistaken.

10. Jupiter Derby 2.9

Jupiter Derby 2.9 Hammering Axles

After we barely placed in our 1st Scout race, I went to ebay & found enough Hot Wheels track to put together 4 lanes.
    you can put 2 side by side for each race lane "with the correct space in the middle" screw them down @ the blue connectors so you don't upset the orange track pieces & you have a cheap 2 lane track that you can run side by side on. It wasn't the best but it worked well enough to make some great gains by comparison racing.

11. Carl ODay

Thanks for the info Jimmy & his 2 Kids. I did little poking around the NPWDRL site, but found no mention of chuy or arduino. Searched their forum too. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

12. Carl ODay

Hot Wheels tracks... That has got to be one of the most cost effective ideas I have heard of. I appreciate the input.