Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Grand Prix Race Manager V18 advice

Discussion in 'General Pinewood Derby Discussion' started by Bw56, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Bw56

Bw56 Pinewood Ninja

So yes the Evil one bought a 3 lane best track with Edge Super Starter, and Micro Wizard timer. I've always wanted to step up to aluminum. Got a good deal on it as it was only used as a test track for an overachiever Grandfather and his grandson while he was in cub scouts. Everything works great but dang the race manager program is a bear to understand. The wife and I are muddling through but any advice to understanding it better and quicker would be helpful.

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  2. derbydentist

derbydentist Council Champion Pro Racer

Welcome back to the best race inspector ever! Sounds like you are getting the itch again haha! I wish I could help you on the software questions but I know zippidy zap about it- I'm sure there will be someone who will answer you shortly though.

Bw56 likes this.
  3. Skywalker Racing

Skywalker Racing Council Champion Pro Racer

4. derbydentist

Real shortly haha and there is scott to the rescue!

Skywalker Racing likes this.
  5. Bw56

Bw56 Pinewood Ninja

Thanks for the nice words. I know it was hard at our first meeting but I was more impressed at the effort YOU made to comply. That means a lot to me. I've been doing small pack derbies for 30 years. I've been in love with aluminum tracks since the first time I saw one. And thanks the U-Tube link. I totally spaced that possibility.

6. Skywalker Racing

Skywalker Racing Council Champion Pro Racer

Videos are a bit long, but thorough. They helped me a ton in the beginning; sure they’ll do the same for you. Good luck.

7. derbydentist

Nah I don't have any hard feelings- it was a fair race and that's what it's all about- we still had fun and came home with some trophies despite our slow wheels haha! Hope you can figure out that software- I haven't quite made that jump yet.

8. Bw56

Bw56 Pinewood Ninja

My head hurts. Spent hours watching youtube and following along on the computer. I'll use it first time 1-31-19. Track is awesome. Might have time for a free test run or two. ;) Just to test the track you know. The stopping area is 6'8" long. My fastest cars don't use half of it. Four small packs combined. 25-35 racers I'd expect. I'll get snacks and smiles afterward for my troubles.

derbydentist likes this.
  9. Thinkin'Bout Racin

Thinkin'Bout Racin League Racer

I am not sure if the you tube videos are the same ones as on the GP web site or not? My guess is that they are the same ones. They are a bit long, but seem to be very complete. I helped to run one of the Cubs races a couple years ago and went thru them at that time. It helped a bunch. I can relate to your head hurting!!!

The aluminum tracks are nice. It sounds like you have a double stop section. You don't always need that much room to stop, but it is nice in case you do. I have found that some of our earlier cars need more stopping distance. Not because they are faster, but because the bottoms are smooth and were waxed. Not unlike what some of the Cubs and their dads might do.

Keep track of that Derby Dentist guy and make sure to keep him in line! ;) :D

Good luck with your new track and go make some memories for those kids!!!!!! :cool:

derbydentist likes this.
  10. derbydentist

your race on 1/31 sounds like fun! wish we knew ahead of time when our races are this year. Last year we ended up going to the Mesa District race because our district didnt do a race again of course and it was really close to where we live. Its hard to build a car with Weston when we dont know the rules of the district until after we have made the car for the pack race haha. Have to do a lot of last minute changes. It was a little bit sad going from your race and then seeing how things were done at the mesa race - The inspection was a bit of a joke - I read the rules a million times and double checked our wheels this year to make sure they weren't close to being too small.:rolleyes: Made sure all our ducks were in a row ya know and then I show up to the race and I dont think there was a single rule on the 3 pages that wasn't broken but they let everyone race anyhow haha. The biggest, most obvious rule that was broken was the wheelbase - about half the cars had the max wheelbase possible - which wasnt a big deal because thats not really an advantage. But I just remember thinking we need a BOB! Im jealous of your new track, sounds great! Dont pay any attention to that Thinkin Bout Racin guy - sounds like his bottom is smoothed and waxed haha. Too much time on his hands in retirement.:)

Thinkin'Bout Racin likes this.
  11. Bw56

Bw56 Pinewood Ninja

1-31 is the pack race I'm doing. The district is 4-13. And the EVIL on will be there. Info I found on line at this time is at 2939 w Rose Garden ln. 85027.
    Registration starts 2-1-19. Race 9am-5pm.
    Richard will not be there, stepped down so new leadership this year. He is a tough act to follow.

12. Bw56

Bw56 Pinewood Ninja

I would like to ask other owners/users ot gprm is what settings do you use for 30 ish cars? I like the thought of the first race times used to schedule racing against simular times in like ranks, mixed packs, working up to fastest wins. Is it worth the trouble? I will have 4 very small packs racing together.

13. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids National Contender

I would definitely use both stop sections. At our churches Awana Grand Prix one section was enough for cars that were not very fast which was most of the cars there but mine and my kids cars needed bean bags at the end. My daughters launched right off the end and broke a fender on her first run. Anything with speed will need 2 sections like they do in the pro leagues.
    Sounds like you have quite a great adventure brewing! Hope it all goes well and I’m sure it will. Be sure to post how it all turns out.
    I’m curious to see if you go for using first runs to schedule remaining heats.
    Have fun with it!!!
    Regards,
    Jimmy

Reecedad likes this.
  14. Bw56

Bw56 Pinewood Ninja

24 cars and everyone had a good time. Well one dad questioned why his son didn't make the top 6 finalist race. But only one. I was a nervous wreck. It was the first time I set up the whole track. 6 hours to set up chairs, track, projector, level and test the whole system. I was in no hurry. I know how it looks but my son and grandson listened to " The evil one" and the grandson never lost a race. 3.115 was his fast time on a 36.91' track. BSA stock axles and wheels. How good is that time. I'm trying to talk him into going to district.

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  15. gpraceman

gpraceman Pinewood Ninja

I'm glad that the videos have been helpful. It is a lot of work to put them together. I will be updating several of them here soon, as some things have changed a bit over the last couple of versions. I'll try to keep in mind keeping them short. Though, I do want to go over different options as people don't all want to do their races the exact same way.