Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Feedback on Ladder Bodies

Discussion in 'Ask The Pros' started by Castoro Racing, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Castoro Racing

Castoro Racing District Champion

Attached are a few photos of 2 ladder bodies that I started with hopes to enter into BASX class. I liked the body with the smaller weight pocket as it kept the weight down a bit more since it needed a smaller birch ply cover. All of the corners have a coating of CA to reinforce a bit. These were sturdier than I thought they would be, which leads me to believe that I could have lightened up the fronts a bit more. Please let me know what you think and if I am making any mistakes or can improve in any way. The body with the smaller weight pocket is 5" wheelbase and the other is 4.75". 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

2. DuckOfAllTrades

DuckOfAllTrades Council Champion

I’m impressed! I don’t have near the craftsmanship to do this. The one attempt similar I made snapped into splinters in assembly.

Castoro Racing likes this.
  3. Castoro Racing

I have done a few others that were around the same weight and I just made sure to loosen the axle holes up before assembly. I didn't want to push too hard. These aren't assembled yet, so I will def make sure to be careful.

4. DuckOfAllTrades

Stupid question, do you use a router to do this? Being fairly new here, and always curious.

I've been terrified to shaving 1/32 off my cars! It just scares me. I've finally brought myself to do it, and glad I did. Helps so much. But I've wondered how you would do this with a rectangle/wedge shape, these help me to see that! In our Troop, it's not illegal per say, all it says is bodies must be 1 3/4 wide, says nothing about shaving, but just to be safe I've been adding it back on to the other side. To be less noticeable, I've only done designs where it's the full width at the front axles, behind it is cut out or curved and then back axle area is full width.

5. Castoro Racing

I use a dremel workstation with router bits. I have found that the smaller the better as they cut much smoother with less wandering. If I could do it over again I would have went with the Proxxon probably as the Dremel has more play than I would like. I found myself routing out a little bit less then optimal and sanding to finish.

DuckOfAllTrades likes this.
  6. DuckOfAllTrades

A Dremel??? Seriously? That's awesome! I thought of going that route but assumed it was a waste of my time. I just use my drill press to crudely hollow out the bottoms of my scout cars with multiple drill after drill after drill holes, using it as sort of a router. But you have to worry about going all the way through, which I've never done, and it can get quite difficult. And sometimes the vibration can knock wood out of the car, especially around the axles.

I'm seriously going to check this out! I thought of buying the plunge router, but did no know if it would work for that. I've never used a router. Do you think it would work to do work like this? Here is what I'm talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-335-0...&qid=1550613323&sr=8-5&keywords=dremel+router

7. Pinewood Outlaw

Pinewood Outlaw District Champion

I used a dremel with router bits and started this body....still need to finish it. All done by hand..
    No dremel workstation

Attached Files:

8. Castoro Racing

Not that attachment I cant imagine that works well. I will find the link

9. Castoro Racing

S
    https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-220-01-Rotary-Workstation-Station/dp/B00068P48O

I use this workstations with their router bits. The 1/8th inch straight router bit has been the easiest when doing a full ladder. If I am leaving some pine intact instead of using the birch ply I use a wider bit to route those areas.

10. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids League Racer

Hey guys check out Bulldog’s video on routing out a body.
    He makes it look so easy. This video is a gem.

Castoro Racing likes this.
  11. Castoro Racing

All of Bulldogs videos are great. I dont have a router and was able to make the dremel work. Actually the idea came directly from that video where he used the dremel workstation. I had the dremel and the workstation was cheap so it worked out. I also use to polish axles so I get a few uses out of it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  12. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

I have a Harbor Freight special Drill press and think I would like the dremel workstation better to be honest.

13. Castoro Racing

I have watched his other video on routing bodies using his jigs alot and I haven't watched this one in a while. Re-watching was helpful though. I have the same tools but he does make it look so easy. I can't get mine done nearly that fast, holy crap. Even when skimming the top on the body using the workstation and setting the depth in place I would still have some issues in making it look that clean. I started making the full ladder bodies after I drilled through the pine top by accident and just kept routing all the way through.

14. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Yes I go back to this video often. And yes I just can't come close. Using the drill press I had a very hard time keeping it from walking on me and messing up. So same here... went all the way through and just left it that way. i did this trying to do just my weight pockets last year. I have been receiving help from an awesome pro with bodies that just get covered. That pro is a helpful and humble dude who has worked to help me understand all this and be able to compete over at APR.

Loud2ns likes this.
  15. SuperSlow

SuperSlow District Champion

If you are gonna do cut out bodys or frames like that and cover the top it is also very simple with a scroll saw.

16. Castoro Racing

How do you do that? Drill a hole make the cut out and pop the blade out to move to a new section? I have a band saw so it won't work but sounds pretty efficient.

DC Avenger likes this.
  17. SuperSlow

Exactly, back when i was getting serious n was weighing my options i found a scroll saw n thats how i built my cars ever since. I even have a dremel press/work station now but ive just honed my builds to such a routine now its just easier for me to cut em out. But it only works if you are gonna use a ply cover or monokote, tape ect. But yea you have to drill entry holes n run the blade up through. Ill put up some pics when im home from work in the morning.
    It sounds like most guys on this thread are already set up with a dremmel, just wanted to throw it out there for anybody who also had a scroll saw n wanted to try it out.

18. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Definitely looking forward to some pics of your work and how you use the saw SS.

Jimmy

19. Castoro Racing

Pictures are always helpful, I love running through this forum to see how others work and get fast.

20. SuperSlow

Ok drew them in for visual but you also need to drill all your inside corners so you are able to turn when you get there.

I drill a bigger hole somewhere just to run the blade up through n hook it back on, cut out all the centers n you end up with exactly what you have Anthony.

Goes pretty quick when your tools are set up and your drill press is next to the scroll saw. I look like Im on an assembly line when I get in my rythem.
    0220191725.jpg 0220191710.jpg