Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Royal Rangers Dowel drill detail and '83 District champ

Discussion in 'Awana Grand Prix, Royal Rangers, and Royal Racers' started by Guest, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This pic is older but shows a setup to drill the dowels without using the Silver Bullet. Clamp the dowel to a 2" machinists V-Block, after drilling flip over and drill the other side. Make sure the dowel has a flat surface where it touches the V portion or else the clamp will push it in and tweek the holes. Shims can be placed underneath to achieve canted holes.
    The car with the show wheels is my favorite car of em all, 1983 Straight Arrow District champ out of Wa, Oregon and Idaho- undefeated! After the race some boys dad offered us a $100 for the wheels which dad declined. When we got home dad took them off along with the axles and stashed them from me. To this day they are still missing in action and presumably lost for good . Dad said that car unintentionally sat on 3 wheels and we aligned it straight as we could- must've been an accidental rail rider. [​IMG]

2. RR Dad

RR Dad Hammering Axles

very nice.

3. Crash Enburn

Crash Enburn PWD Royalty

Really neat car designs there. And extra cool with the history involved. /images/boards/smilies/biggrin.gif

And you have given me ideas for next years' AWANA Grand Prix cars...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks guys for the compliments guys.
    Crash, glad the pic inspired next years build!

5. Guest

Guest Guest

What kind of lathe do you have there on the left?

6. Guest

Guest Guest

That's a Harbor Freight 4x5 micro mini lathe. There's a 311 sticker on the front from back in the day. I guess this model has been discontinued which is a shame, perfect size for the PWD.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh! 311

I figured it was seven eleven for sure.

8. txchemist

txchemist National Contender

Ya, gimme a Big Gulp and a Mini Lathe to go Please!
    [​IMG]

9. Guest

Guest Guest

LOL!!!!

Hey pal,

I am headed to the Seven Eleven you need anything?

Yeah, Could you grab me a collet with an M1 taper?

I'll pay you when you get back!

10. GravityX

GravityX PWD Royalty Pro Racer

Very nice set up! Wish my work area looked that neat!

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks Gravity but if you only knew. That pic was taken back in '09 and the work space was much more organized than it is now.

The Silver Bullet works better than that v- block setup does. It even works better than the Block due to the Silver Bullet having the lip over the axles milled flush. Using the pin for cant allows a full width 2" dowel to hang over the side of the Silver Bullet and it doesn't interfere with drill press table.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey Eccentric,
    I really like the looks of that car in the middle.
    Do you have any photos that you can share with the wheels on it?
    Are those tungsten rods in the back holding the pontoons together?
    Cool stuff.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey Joe, glad you like it, here's a pic of when it was first built. I used 3/8" tungsten cylinders glued end to end and sandwiched them around the dowel. In hindsight the weight should have been further back and lower, not sure I can adjust it without breaking it though. [​IMG]

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ha! Those RR wheels you fellas use are cute as a button!
    Cool car. Tungsten cylinders? Very interesting.

15. GravityX

GravityX PWD Royalty Pro Racer

Awesome looking cars!

16. Papa V Racing

Papa V Racing PWD Royalty

Very AWESOME cars and Love the info about the cars and how things had happen.. Who knows one day you may open a box and out pops those wheels and axles your dad put away back in the day... Very Cool!!! Thanks for posting this...
    PapaV

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Do the rules allow one to split the dowel in RR racing?
    Where can I get one of these kits?
    Thanks

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey dog,

The rules say the parts provided in the kit must be used for their intended purpose. As long as the dowel is used to secure the wheels/axles- it should be no problem.

S&W Crafts makes and sells the kits with the 6 spoke wheels. As far as the more popular 4 spoke wheels, the only online source I found dried up few years back. If I want more I know a couple people in the program but a guy's stuck buying the entire kit of two bunk dowels, 4 chinsy zinc screw axles and an enormously heavy block of yellow pine.

If you're interested in building one, I can toss a kit in with the cars I ship out next week if you're sending in cars this month.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks pal!
    That will be extra incentive to get one in the race this month.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Dog!

RR fellas are going to need a hand soon!

Get your tail back here!