Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Derby Magic and Grand Prix Software

Discussion in 'General Pinewood Derby Discussion' started by Guest, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Anyone use both the derby magic equipment and the grand prix software. I can't get them to work together no matter what work arounds I am trying and also contacting both parties doesn't seem to help much yet.

I really wanted to use the better functionality of Grand Prix software but am limited with our scout pack to the derby magic equipment. Witch BTW there software is like so watered down and everything worth doing like lane rotations and scheduling has to be hand entered.

2. 3N1 Racing

3N1 Racing Bent Axle

I have that exact setup at home, unfortunately, I have the same issues. Everything that Derby Magic said to do, does not work with the Grand Prix software. I found it easier to create an Excel spreadsheet for tracking but that is test data, not a live race.
    Although Derby Magic's software is a pain, you may be stuck with it if you have to use that track.

Sorry, I know this didn't fix the problem.

3. Vitamin K

Vitamin K Guest

Wow, that's a major failing on Derby Magic's part, IMO. GPRM is pretty much the gold standard for PWD software. If I were selling a track and timer kit, I'd devote a major chunk of my time to making it GPRM compatible.

4. gpraceman

gpraceman Pinewood Ninja

We've had other GPRM users with Derby Magic timers be able to get them working together, so it has been possible.

Late last season Derby Magic did make a change to their timers, upping the baud rate to 19200, instead of the 9600 baud that it had been before. So, that would be the first thing that should be checked. GPRM V13 included an update that added in support for high baud rates to the custom serial timer interface. So, if you have one of their 19200 baud timers, you do need to run GPRM V13 or above.

As there are a lot of things that can go wrong trying to get timers and software to talk to each other, I do suggest going through the Troubleshooting section of the software's help file. There are tests there, like the "Paperclip Test" that can help narrow down the problem. Often going through that guide will resolve a communications problem.

If you are still not able to get the communications working, you can contact me directly at support@grandprix-software-central.com with specific details of the problem and include a copy of the communications log file (DocumentsLisano EnterprisesGrandPrix Race ManagerHardwareDebug.log) as well as the full version number of GPRM that you are running.

We've approached them more than once over the years about partnering together, but unfortunately they are not interested in doing so. Otherwise, we would specifically support their timers and ensure a close compatibility.

5. 3N1 Racing

3N1 Racing Bent Axle

Thanks for the tips Randy. I will test it this weekend and contact you if I still have issues.

Guess I should have gone with a Best track and I could have avoided all of these issues this track has given me.

6. 92hatchattack

92hatchattack District Champion

Our pack is currently having issues getting GP to talk to our Fast Track timer. I left there an hour ago and they still hadn't figured it out and the race is in the morning. /images/boards/smilies/frown.gif

7. gpraceman

gpraceman Pinewood Ninja

Have you gone through the Troubleshooting information in the software's help file? That solves most of the communications issues. Worst case scenario is that you manually enter the results into the software for each heat.

8. gpraceman

gpraceman Pinewood Ninja

I did post an update to Version 14 to resolve an issue with some Arduino timers that may also help those having troubles with their Derby Magic timer. I would like someone with a Derby Magic timer to install the update and confirm that it is working for them. The next time you run the software, assuming that you have an Internet connection, it will let you know that there is an update available. You can also download the update from http://grandprix-software-central.com/software-downloads/13-gprm-updates/

9. gpraceman

gpraceman Pinewood Ninja

I did get confirmation from a user, with a Derby Magic timer, that the latest V14 update resolved the problem for him.