Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Building back up car

Discussion in 'General Pinewood Derby Discussion' started by Dldoug, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Dldoug

Dldoug Pinewood Ninja

BD5B505A-033E-4156-8CE9-212F0CA39BC5.jpeg 6A8BA181-AEC3-413B-8331-DEFDC0ED968F.jpeg well I can’t leave good enough alone. Building a back up car to see which one is faster on my derby magic track.

2. TRE

TRE PWD Royalty Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

The more you build the bettet you get

3. Dldoug

Dldoug Pinewood Ninja

That is a fact. Each one is a learning experience. The wheel gaps are better and using my scroll saw works a lot bettter than a drill press for me anyway.

4. Darkside

Darkside Pinewood Ninja

For this years scout race my boy and I built three nearly identical cars. We then tested and tuned all three and raced the second fastest ( by .003 sec ) but most consistent one. We had one that we were certain would be the best as everything on it was the best. It had the best drill out of the three, the best axles out of all the box stock axles we prepped, and the best set of wheels we had. To our surprise that was the slowest of the three cars. Straight off the bench it was slower than his car from last year. After testing and tuning it was fast but was consistently .005 sec slower than the car he ended up racing.

There are so many little details that can effect how a car runs. You may think everything is perfect and end up with a slow car. Likewise you may have a car that you think is just okay and you put it on the test track and it lays down the fastest time you've ever ran. Trying to figure out the what and the why is part of what makes this hobby so much fun.

5. Dldoug

Dldoug Pinewood Ninja

Yes it is nerve racking. But that is the challenge of building these things and the fact my sons are learning to use different tools and the why you want to do the little things.

6. derbydentist

derbydentist Council Champion Pro Racer

looking good! Just curious - it looks like your dom front wheel is on the right side of the car, cuz that is where its narrowed, but your weight pocket is cut out to have the weight shifted towards the left side of the car? I usually have to shift my weight more towards my dominant side

slipstream and Loud2ns like this.
  7. Dldoug

Dldoug Pinewood Ninja

Good catch, fixed. Not sure where my mind was at on that. Thanks

Loud2ns likes this.
  8. derbydentist

derbydentist Council Champion Pro Racer

I do it all the time which is probably why I noticed it haha! I find myself flipping the car over and saying to myself - okay so this is the right side of the car when turned upside down...

FDM and Dldoug like this.
  9. FDM

FDM District Champion

We have raced a car like that. Dominant wheel on the right, put weights on the right (when car flipped over), done! After the race, why is the weight biased to the raised wheel? Oops! Luckily we still won with that setup.

10. Dldoug

Dldoug Pinewood Ninja

Yeah, I was in a rush cutting while my son was polishing wheels. Multitasking and paying attention to detail does not work really well sometimes. The real issue is not finding it till after fenders are done. Ouch good times

11. slipstream

slipstream Pinewood Ninja Pro Racer

I was going to say the same thing as debydentist the weight notch at the back is on the wrong side.