Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

BSA axle crimp...file off or just sand them?

Discussion in 'General Pinewood Derby Discussion' started by Derby addict, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Derby addict

Derby addict Bent Axle

So I searched and could not find a thread to answer my question. The question is about crimp marks on the shaft of a BSA axle. Our rules state that we must use the axles from the kit. So my question is do I file off the crimps and then polish our axles or just polish over the crimp marks and make them smoothed bumps. The thought with not filing would be to keep the axle as large a diameter as possible. Thoughs?

2. Charles Studer

Charles Studer Workshop Leader Pro Racer

Dunno...I like to go for size.....

3. Gso125 Racing

Gso125 Racing District Champion

I sand and polish over them and then you can cut some k-house grooves to tune them.

Charles Studer likes this.
  4. flockshot

flockshot Rail Runner

I use a 1/4 inch square India Stone. I think that a file takes too much off (leaving deeper scratches), and I would be concerned that sanding would not be as round. Just my thoughts.

5. Darkside

Darkside District Champion

What I've found from machining the BSA axles is that the raised part of the crimp marks is close to the diameter of the rest of the axle. So essentially they are not raised but rather the lower part of the crimp marks are recessed. So filing off the raised part will actually make the diameter of the outer part of the axle smaller than the inner part of the axle....

Which is all a very long winded way of saying just leave them be and polish them. :D

Remove the flashing between the head and the axle though. That does have to go... I was assuming you already knew that, but just want to make sure.

flockshot likes this.
  6. Derby addict

Derby addict Bent Axle

Yeah, I remove the flashing. Thanks for your feedback!