Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Break out mania

Discussion in 'General Pinewood Derby Discussion' started by ratrodsrule1, Jun 21, 2020.

1. ratrodsrule1

ratrodsrule1 National Contender

So whats stopping a guy from entering his or a friends super car to win a lower class and finishes first to win a Ballistic kit. In my world that’s breakout and the 1st place guy gets DQ’ed and bumped up so the second place car should assume 1st place and win the kit. . Or not sugar coat it and call it sand bagging for a more definitive strategy. Jus sayin the Aces ain’t Skeert to call it how they see it.
    Edit: Absolutely in no am I accusing the gentleman that won of doing anything sneaky. But there’s plenty of guys that will . I feel certain it was just one of those racing deals but lady justice’ scales are blind and it rains on the just and unjust.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  2. ljo

ljo District Champion

RRR. I was very close to breaking out myself. I may have, if not for my last run, which kept me comfortably in the 2.95s. I'm not sand bagging, and I plan on continuing the series, as well as trying to build/ maintain the fastest car I can. If I end up breaking out then I want my times/ position wiped out, and let the car under me take the spot. That's my take on it.

ratrodsrule1 likes this.
  3. ratrodsrule1

God job ljo and I’m certain the gentleman that broke out will do the same. Good sportsmanship on this forum.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  4. OneSpartan

OneSpartan Pack Champion

Great race everyone. That
    Great race everyone. A few thousandths between 1st and 3rd. I am new to racing and not familiar with the term 'breaking out' but will leave it to John as to how this plays out. I would love to race the BASX AM series and have built a bunch of cars for it to try different things. My hope all along was to be in the running for the sponsorship by virtue of just getting a car entered every month. If I have to move to pro, so be it. I just want to continue to learn and get faster.

If anyone wants to reach out to me independently to share tips and ideas, please do. I love to talk cars and love the process to get them faster.

5. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids National Contender

So I have to add my 2 cents here. I personally know D & C Racing. I will not presume to speak for him but I do know he worked his arse off the last few months learning as much as he could. He has been officially afflicted with this addiction that has us all playing with little 7" wooden cars more than we ever did as kids. Now this is my opinion and we'll see how John would like to handle it. But I feel the Sponsorship should go to the amateur that best deserves it. Is D & C a fast builder? yes. Other builders may be a better candidate for the sponsorhip? maybe...(yeah) Looking to be a pro level builder? Sure, but he's still an amateur who put his heart and soul in that car. That car he ran is a very well built car I suspect (obviously) but it is a car HE built. And it did it's job. The Ballistic kits are there for monthly winners which is great. It pushes guys to continue. He put in his time and effort and deserves the kit that goes to that month's winner. I don't feel anyone should be denied the reward for their labor because they did a better than average job using good skills. Just like when an insurance adjuster says a good technician should make less because he can get a job done faster. Should his car bump to pro? duh. Should his reward that he won with his efforts be taken away? Not in my opinion. There are more races left which is where the others continue to try and get faster and go get that kit for themselves. Again, just my opinion and I stand behind whatever John determines is best for the league and the amateurs.
    But I want to stand behind and vouch for OneSpartan, AKA D & C Racing. Just hoping I don't rub anyone wrong with my post. Couldn't resist.

ratrodsrule1 likes this.
  6. ratrodsrule1

DC great race you were rolling Brother and proud for you. I hope you read my edit to the post. I know Mr. Jimmy vouches for you and that’s good enough for me. I felt it was just a racing deal anyway. The ONLY thing you are guilty of is having a great car. Break out is simply running faster that the predetermined fastest time allowed for a given class.

Why I came off so strong is I asked this question about 2 weeks ago because I knew it was bound to happen and how it will be handled. No reply. It was more of an aggregation of it not being addressed to avoid this confusion. But I’m cettaim the decision makers will do the right thing. Again no reflection on you. Keep up the good work sooooo how about a speed tip ? Lol lol welcome to the Series glad you’re here.

Jimmy & his 2 Kids and ljo like this.
  7. ljo

ljo District Champion

Everyone did a great job!

8. ratrodsrule1

Wh not cut it in half like King Solomon l

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  9. Racing358t

Racing358t Rail Runner Pro Race Winner Pro Racer

Good Job RRR. You have made huge strides in a short amount of time.

Scott

Castoro Racing, ratrodsrule1 and ljo like this.
  10. ljo

ljo District Champion

He absolutely has! He had me really worried last night.

11. ratrodsrule1

Thanks Scott it’s amazing what a kid can learn from what turned out to be the Crew Chief for Reher and Morrison but LJO has no need to worry.

12. ljo

ljo District Champion

Oh, I think I do.

ratrodsrule1 likes this.
  13. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids National Contender

well I think you all have given me something to worry about! Those were some fast times last night. And I may vouch for D & C Racing but to be honest he pissed me off! His BASX is faster than mine! :eek: :oops: :cool:
    I still might send mine in though. I've always been a glutton for punishment. :rolleyes:

ratrodsrule1 likes this.
  14. HurriCrane Racing

HurriCrane Racing PWD Royalty 25+ Pro Race Wins! Pro Racer National Champion

WELCOME TO LEAGUE RACING!!!

There will always be racers who buy their cars from experienced builders.
    They will start out smoking fast out of nowhere. Then once the car's speed falls off, they lack the experience needed to reprep the car and regain the lost speed. It tends to stand out. Another possible tell is when they have multiple cars in a class and the cars have a wide difference in speed. This could indicate a bought car or a car that was prepped and tuned by an experienced racer.

Most new racers will reach out to the faster racers in hopes of learning the secrets to speed. I know I have helped out a lot of new racers. Is that wrong? Maybe but my goal is always to build league racing. Most new racers have been the big fish in a little pond. Then they step into the deep end and get smoked! Most will quit and return the shallow end. A few, will become motivated and set a course to chase down the top racers. For those who are motivated, WELCOME! Get your feet wet, take your lumps and keep building.

Now, I feel there is no place for a pro built car in the AM classes. It's also nearly impossible to stop. I was the victim of a pro built car when I was racing AM. Honestly, it ticked me off knowing he was cutting corners. Turns out he wasn't capable of building that fast of a car on his own. I took great joy in kicking his arse with a car that was 100% mine! He never won a pro level race, he never won a series title and he never won a National Championship! Guys like that last about a year and then fade away. Instead of dwelling on being a victim, focus on the pro class times. Set your goals high and know that you will have to earn it.

Come get some!!!!

15. Charles Studer

Charles Studer League Racer Pro Racer

Amen

16. Ballistic Racing

Ballistic Racing Workshop Leader #1 Ranked in the USA Pro Race Winner Pro Racer

Nicely put!

ratrodsrule1 likes this.
  17. ratrodsrule1

As far as cheating they’ll never stop it. But in order for it to work only one person can know about it...,,Smokey Yunick. Have I been the recipient of graciousness from some of the fastest guys on the planet ? Dang straight. Have I listened ? Dang straight. Have I applied what I’ve learned ? Dang straight. Have I spent overnights in the shop ? Dang Straight. Have I gone out to the shop before daylight ? Dang Straight . Have I invented a device to slot axle heads for 1.62 cents and 2 blocks of wood when others have spent hundreds and failed ? Dang Straight. Did I go outside the world of PWD and find compounds for polishing axles that will blind you without the use of sandpaper and not remove material ? Dang straight. My pop taught me from a child when you show up at the job in the morning make sure at the end of the day someone can tell you’ve been there. This stuff is easy if you’re willing to use the common sense God gave you, ask the right questions from the right people and apply it. Never try to offend the laws of physics which can’t be ignored. Since I don’t have a track to test with have I sent my cars to be tested ? Dang straight. Have I recently found my own track ? Dang straight. Will I continue to fail ? Dang straight. Will I get out run from my current lack of PWD knowledge? Dang straight. Will I get out run by a lack of desire or getting out worked ? H E double hockey sticks NAW.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Jimmy & his 2 Kids and ljo like this.
  18. OneSpartan

OneSpartan Pack Champion

Well said. I am at the point in my PWD adventure where I am building a bunch of cars and trying to learn what works. I have built a bunch of BASX cars. Two are fast, and countless others are not. And I have no idea why. Drills appear to be the same (maybe I'm not testing them appropriately), shaping the same, axles same, weighted the same, wheels prepped the same. Everything from my amateur eye appears the same. Someday I will move on to other classes, but not until I can figure out a process to replicate builds, prepping and tuning to the point that every car built has somewhat predictable speed. And someday I would like to chase down the top pros in a couple classes, but right now am strictly focused on a process and to truly understand the intricacies of these cars that effect speed. Maybe it's my OCD, but that's the goal for now.

19. DerbyBoyRacing

DerbyBoyRacing Rail Runner

I was thinking of racing in the Basx am class, (I wasn't joking) because on the forum it didn't say I had to be a new or a rookie and I wanted a shot at John's sponsorship. I know.. don't make fun of me..Lol.. Until I went on John's rules for the Basx am class, and liked I figured it would say.." BASX AM Class (Entry Level BASX Racers 2.950 and higher)" So, it still doesn't say you have to be a rookie but really it's an entry level class, (duh) but you hit lower than 2.950.. your running Basx Pro times and I am assuming your moved to Basx Pro class. I just watch the races this morning and you guys ran great and you're pros in my book. Awesome job, and good luck!

20. ratrodsrule1

DC you've got a good approach and the zeal needed my friend. Here's my deal. I build something by the book to have at least one car that is competitive but my others are things I'm experimenting with because you never know what you'll find. Some things are junk but others show something worth exploring. It's like the team concept in NASCAR. I'm terribly sorry that I may have cast shadow on your accompleshment with yesterday's post and have edited the post to reflect that. I don't think you're guilty of anything with the exception of building a car that had the ability to breakout.

Like yourself I'm new to League as well but it's far from my first rodeo. I didn't think this would happen to someone I KNEW this would happen. Too many days at the drag strip. I even posed the question to the sponsor about this possibility but got no reply. You don't explain things to where they can be understood but to where they can not be MIS-UNDERSTOOD. I've organized too many car shows to not know that.

Be careful what you wish for because you just may get it. Being at the top is, I'm certain, great and fulfilling and the Pro's I've conversed with have been nothing short of acamicable and willing to help upstarts like you and I with knowledge it's taken them years and dollars to achieve. But imagine the pressure of staying there. It's not on us but them. What do we have to lose by expermenting ? Nothing......failure is only success under construction. Keep building my friend because every champion was at one time a contender that refused to give up.

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.