Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Best Track footprint

Discussion in 'General Pinewood Derby Discussion' started by Castoro Racing, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Castoro Racing

Castoro Racing District Champion Pro Racer

Does anyone know the actual footprint of a 35' and 42' ft Best Track. Trying to see what I can actually cram into my garage, well with some running outside of the garage.

2. Gso125 Racing

Gso125 Racing District Champion

42=41.9” and 35=34.9” that is top of hill to end of stop section.
    http://www.besttrack.com/assembly_manuel.htm

I have a 42 track and I can’t set it up in the winter because I have to run half inside and outside the garage. I’m looking to find a space to set it up in the area. It was fun racing with you the other night.
    Gerry

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Castoro Racing likes this.
  3. DuckOfAllTrades

DuckOfAllTrades League Racer

Looking over the manual, makes me wonder has anyone used the loop??? I’ve never seen it in use but would be horrified to try them with my cars!

4. Chief

Chief PWD Royalty

Look I found it on YOUTUBE HAHAHAHAHA

5. Castoro Racing

That worked way better than I thought.

6. Castoro Racing

I will have the same issue with having to set half outside the garage. I figure I will to have lay down some plywood or something between the floor and the track to protect it and aid in leveling. Not ideal but i want to set it up when needed. Anything else you had to worry about other than the unexpected gust of wind/rainfall!

Oh yeah I also need to get a real track too, I have a masonite track inspired by Wayne schmidt's plans. It was good for my scout cars but I would think it is not close enough to a well maintained aluminum track.

7. Castoro Racing

Gerry-it was alot of fun. It's cool figuring out who is who on the forums and matching up their cars.

Gso125 Racing likes this.
  8. Gso125 Racing

I put the timer inside the garage with the end stop up against my workbench and started off with a small piece of 1/2in plywood and because the floor pitches out I had to build boxes at different heights and by the time I got outside I had the hill section about 18in up to keep everything level. It takes me 1/2 hour to set up and quicker to pack now. Main reason I put the timer inside is because the sun can mess with the sensors. I only setup if the weather is good. I won’t run in the cold I’m afraid it might mess with the cars because they normally run inside 70s and above. The biggest and most pain is leaves and bugs. My house is in a wooded area and the flying insects are attracted to the track causing issues.

9. Castoro Racing

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to get my garage cleaned up and will start looking for a track. We are looking to move next summer. I am putting a 42 foot long garage/basement first on the checklist!

Gso125 Racing likes this.
  10. Gso125 Racing

I’ve been hinting to my wife for years for a barn?maybe soon. I used to have a full wood-shop in my garage but life and kids sold all my big machines. I do have a 40’ shipping container that’s 600’ away from my house that I might clean out some stuff to setup in. I have a battery pack for the timer no power needed. Got to step up my game to compete lol

11. TRE

TRE PWD Royalty Pro Racer Pro Race Winner

My timer wont work if i open the garage door and let the light in

12. Gso125 Racing

I have the micro wizard k3 so far no issues inside the garage

I had John Shreffler owner of New Directions set up my start gate. I have a 3 lane track with the split gate. He wired up to solenoids for 2 push button releases both gates and a drag strip light tree. He is an awesome electronics technician. I spoke to him about the light sensors and he can install a different type that you can run in sunlight but it most likely void the timer warranty.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  13. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids League Racer

Hey guys... here’s a link to Best Tracks spec page. It also has footprint size of all tracks when set up...

http://www.besttrack.com/track_specs.html

Oh duh!!! Gerry already posted this info.

Sure was fun watching you guys race Friday night.

14. DuckOfAllTrades

DuckOfAllTrades League Racer

I think this needs to be a thing on the pro circuit!

Jimmy & his 2 Kids likes this.
  15. Jimmy & his 2 Kids

Jimmy & his 2 Kids League Racer

Ain’t sending MY cars down that thing! Lol
    Joel over at NPWDRL considered it for their specials race just for fun with unimportant cars sent to smash up but I don’t think too many folks wanted to try it.