Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Axles

Discussion in 'General Pinewood Derby Discussion' started by Jason Rossler, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Jason Rossler

Jason Rossler Hammering Axles

so im fairly new to pinewood. But I’m looking for the best axles that are able to be used for a BSA event. The rules do not necessarily say the SS axles are not allowed. It really just says metal axles but I don’t want to buy SS and fail inspection. Looking for straight oversized axles. Unless someone out there has a better route to go

2. Gso125 Racing

Gso125 Racing District Champion

Can you post what your rules say for axels

3. Jason Rossler

Now that I’m looking closer I may be screwed.

The ONLY axles allowed are those axles from Official Pinewood Derby Car Kits #17006 0r # 17000. Or Official Pinewood Derby Wheels and Axles #17553 thru #17557 (black and colored wheels). Burrs on the underside of the axle head and ridges on the axle shaft (if any) may be removed. If the underside of axle head is to be tapered, be careful not to reduce the diameter of the axle head. Polishing of the axle shaft is allowed. The mating surface of the axle may not be bushed, sleeved, or lined. Only a dry non-permanent spray- on, brushed-on, or dusted lubrication compound is allowed. Bushings, sleeves, permanent coatings, thrust washers, and enclosed axles (with hubcaps) are prohibited.

4. DerbyDad4Hire

DerbyDad4Hire Administrator Staff Member 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

5. Jason Rossler

Thank you DD4H. I have a couple questions for you since you are one of the best it sounds like. On those axles you recommended, what would you say is the best prep for them. I keep reading many different posts. How high of a grit is sandpaper would you recommend? Use pledge or no? Also when drilling new axle holes, do you think it is best to have as long of a wheelbase as possible? I have seen some of you cars, and it seems like you take the back wheel back as far as you can, but the front is not fully extended.what do you recommend? Any assistance would be greatly apreciated.

6. flockshot

flockshot Pinewood Ninja

I am no expert, but I will throw in my 2c.
    With those axles, I use grits 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 and then use the DD4H axle polish. About 10 seconds with each gritt up to 3000 and then about 20 seconds with the 3000 (using plenty of water with all). Polish to a mirror finish with polish and leather strop. Yes on the Pledge.
    I do believe that DD4H makes his cars with 4 3/4 inch wheel base, with the rears as far back as practical. I have not tested this, but I am confident that he has.
    You can spend days on this site doing searches and reading posts to gain information. I strongly suggest that you keep paper and pen handy to take notes.

Jason Rossler likes this.
  7. Jason Rossler

Thank you Flockshot for the info. I appreciate yours and anyone else’s input on this and other things such as wheel bores. I have gained a lot of knowledge being on this site and being a novice there is a lot to learn. What polish do you use on the axles?

8. flockshot

flockshot Pinewood Ninja

DD4h axle polish. I am also fond of his 3 part wheel prep. He has done the leg work and testing to find the best he can. It’s just good business to do that. If I find anything better I would say so by so far I like his stuff the best

9. DerbyDad4Hire

DerbyDad4Hire Administrator Staff Member 25+ Pro Race Wins! National Champion

Flockshot is right on. On those axles they polish up very fast just dont use the lower grits. My wheel bore prep is the best hands down.

10. Carl ODay

Carl ODay Hammering Axles

11. Jason Rossler

Thanks for the info guys. Another question that I am sure DD4H can answer. And anyone else is more than welcome. How much of a increase would larger diameter angles have over a standard axle? I know that .093 and .092 axles are out there but made of stainless. I am just curious if it is that much or not.