Dismiss Notice
Welcome to
Pinewood Derby Online, a forum for questions and discussions about everyone's favorite gravity powered racers!
CLICK HERE to register as a member today for full access to the forum, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!

Royal Racers Any RA Racers Out There?

Discussion in 'Awana Grand Prix, Royal Rangers, and Royal Racers' started by renegade, Jan 22, 2013.

1. renegade

renegade District Champion

Our season is just getting cranked up. If you have any questions please ask. Me or someone
    will try and answer them. I know a little something about these cars.

2. theros

theros Pinewood Ninja

My kids will be racing on February 3rd. They usually do AWANA Grand Prix, but they're not having that at our church this year, so their friend invited them to the RA race at her church. This will be our first time at an RA race.

The wheels seem wobbly, like the wheel bores were made too big for the axles. Is that normal?

I'm told that they'll be using a wooden track with side rails instead of a center guide, which is also something new to us.

3. renegade

Well there are two different kits The RA Racer kit out of Texas and the Royal Racers kit out of Tennessee.

The RA Racer kit is a bit wobbly the bores are huge. If you run the rears canted it helps stabilize the car a bit.

The wheels on the Royal Racers are nice but heavier. I prefer these for sure.

4. theros

theros Pinewood Ninja

Thanks for the tips! That does clarify a lot.

5. Firstshot

Firstshot Hammering Axles

What angle is best for the rear axle cant on an RA car? What degree of bend do you use for DFW for an RA car? What league setup or class would be best to copy as a starting point for this type of wheel and wheelbase?

Thanks for any thoughts...

6. renegade

Good questions. I have ran anything from from zero cant up to 2.5 degree cant. For me a 1 degree cant
    seems to work fine. I run about a 1.5 degree cant on the front it really depends on where you want the wheel to hit the rail and what kind of track you run on.

I would run Street Stock and Eliminator as a starting point. Play with Axle cant and wheelbase in Eliminator and prepping the big axles and wheels in Street Stock.

7. Firstshot

Firstshot Hammering Axles

Thanks for thoughts. We run primarily on a best track. I am very interested in understanding where you think it is best for the DFW to touch the track and also how much steer you would recommend. Thanks again it is great to have expert opinions for this type of car.

8. renegade

You just want the FDW to make as little contact with the rail as possible for less friction. As for steer
    I usually start with 1.5" steer in 4' and work from there if the car is setup right and can get by with as little as .5" in 4' with these RA wheels.

9. theros

theros Pinewood Ninja

My oldest son came home with the 2nd place trophy for speed in what was a really competitive race. The unusual thing about his kit was that it came with one Royal Racer wheel and three RA Racer wheels. We decided to make the odd one the DFW, which seemed to be the right choice. My youngest son's car didn't do quite so well, as is the case sometimes, but both of them want to do it again next year.

Nobody seemed to pay any attention to the wheels at check-in. Generally speaking, are both kinds considered legal for most RA races?

10. renegade

Congrats! on 2nd place.

Both wheels are considered legal here in Georgia.

11. Peregrine Racing

Peregrine Racing Pinewood Ninja

RA racer here in NC. Our numbers seem to get a little smaller each year but we're working to bring it back. Tough to compete will sports and everything else on the weekends.